building New amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default building New amp

hello everyone
i am quite new in this site. this is a very good site and there are many helpful active members.
i want to build a solid state guitar amp at home between 15-20 w, that will have two channels, clean and drive ,active three band equalizer and output control (and if possible Reverb in Bonus!!) so as to get 80's rock sound . so if you please help me in provide the schem. of the preamp and power amp with the material that are not obsolete today then i can make it at home.

and what care must be given in selecting a proper guitar amp speaker??

plz help
Old 28th July 2011, 09:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hipaku,

People who sleeping or building amps can not be bad.

I'm building a guitar amp at the moment. Maybe something ist useful for you. The page is in German, but if you have questions, you can ask here in English.

Gimos50
Old 30th July 2011, 09:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default thanks friend

hey thanks for the reply.....i have checked your site via google translate. it's nice? i have also downloaded the sound clippings..... is this a complete project??

the amp output is too high for me. however what is the power consumption of it??

what changes are needed to as to change it to a 20-25 w amp.
thanks again and i will keep in touch with u as i have several queries to ask you.
paku
Old 30th July 2011, 09:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default thanks friend

hey thanks for the reply.....i have checked your site via google translate. it's nice? i have also downloaded the sound clippings..... is this a complete project??

the amp output is too high for me. however what is the power consumption of it??

what changes are needed to as to change it to a 20-25 w amp.
thanks again and i will keep in touch with u as i have several queries to ask you.
paku
Old 30th July 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

For PA you must be dimensioned slightly more generous than for HiFi
The amp has plenty of reserves, with a larger power supply around 200W feasible.

For 20W, you need only two MOSFETs in the output stage. And the transformer also needs only 2x20Volt at 80VA (for around 28V DC).
You'll also need not have as large heat sink. The metal housing may be sufficient.

The consumption at idle is relatively low.
Old 30th July 2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ive just finnished building a 2 Channel guitar Amp ..... It has a 2 channel Tube Preamp (Two 12ax7 per channel) running at 300V DC and 12.6v AC Heaters , it has a 3 band Passive EQ per channel ..... it uses 2 DPDT relays to do true bypass switching and also has LED Indicators to show what channel is selected , it uses a Footswitch ..... there is a FX Loop for my 15 Band EQ and it has a 50w LM3886 Poweramp running at +/-33vDC ......

It is all squeezed tightly into a 6in x 6in x 16in case ......

You probably aren"t interested in the Tube preamps but you might be interested in the Relay channel switching .... if you are let me know and I"ll post it for you when I get back from camping this weekend .....

Cheers
Old 30th July 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

to moschfet

thanks for the reply...you are probably right ,yea i am looking for a amp that can be played at home without making mess with my neighbors. actually i mostly like to play at home cause i am not ready for the live!! so looking for a smaller amp

"For 20W, you need only two MOSFETs in the output stage. And the transformer also needs only 2x20Volt at 80VA (for around 28V DC).
You'll also need not have as large heat sink. The metal housing may be sufficient."

can you plz give me a schematic that will almost satisfy my need...
thanks again moschfet
Old 30th July 2011, 08:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

to minion

hey thanks for the reply.......

i know what type of sound valves produce. but in my country tubes are not available that much and is extremely costly and i am also terrified with the future prospective of the use of valves. however valves are valves.....

i have few Preamps like TS,Procorat,Guvnor,DOD,Dynacomp all are home made...so i am looking for a 20- 30 watt Fully solid state construction.....may you help me........so i am, waiting for a positive reply from u.
thanks minion
Old 1st August 2011, 02:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

My amp is to big for playing home, even with only two Mosfets.
If do you only play at home, 10 Watt are more that enough.
For the Power stage you can take a TDA2030. That ist much cheaper. The money you save, you can invest into a good guitarspeaker. With a few tricks sounds the TDA2030 also not bad.
Old 1st August 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moschfet View Post
For the Power stage you can take a TDA2030. That ist much cheaper. The money you save, you can invest into a good guitarspeaker. With a few tricks sounds the TDA2030 also not bad.
And is used in vast numbers of commercial small guitar amps - nothing wrong with it at all.

Probably the easiest method is to copy the circuit of a Fender or Marshall amp which uses them - why 'reinvent the wheel'.

Hide this!Advertise here!