guitar amp speaker recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default guitar amp speaker recommendations

Am looking to replace speaker in Fender Bronco Tube amp from the 70's. Current speaker is woofy with low frequencies (low E string), but otherwise this amp is fine. Not looking for super clean sound. Ideas?
Old 5th July 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It would help if you told us where you're from. That way, we can try to determine which speakers are available to you.

What size speaker are you looking for?
Any particular sound you're after?
Old 5th July 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm from N.Carolina, USA. Want warm, early breakup, not bright & chimey tone. Am looking at Weber 8A-125 O. (vintage series) 4 ohm, 8 inch. Play country, rock, blues.
Old 5th July 2011, 07:07 PM   #4
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

original used an Oxford 8EV - 1x8" 4 ohms up to 1975 , same configuration and amp as the Champ Model
see 'Jensen' replacement guide Jensen Replacement Speakers | Ampwares
Old 6th July 2011, 01:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulevaline View Post
I'm from N.Carolina, USA. Want warm, early breakup, not bright & chimey tone. Am looking at Weber 8A-125 O. (vintage series) 4 ohm, 8 inch. Play country, rock, blues.
Check out Eminence Ragin Cajun, it is well suited for the type of music you are playing, some highly sought after boutique amps are also equip'd with them.

Jaz
Old 6th July 2011, 07:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Isn't that a 12" driver?

A bigger cabinet would allow a much greater choice of drivers for your amp, but if you can try the drivers before you buy them, that'd be best. Or find somewhere that accepts returns if you don't like.

As an aside, I assumed it's an open backed cabinet at the moment. Is this so?
A closed-back speaker will have more output in the bass than an open backed cabinet with the same driver. So, if it is a closed-back, removing the back may sort out the problems in the LF

Chris
Old 6th July 2011, 02:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Cajun is a 10" driver. You're already in the right place - get a Weber. I like the bigger magnet ceramics myself for a Champ. To some degree you can't get any bass out of the stock amp - you're limited by the cab size.
Old 16th July 2011, 01:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mulevaline, the Bronco is a nice amplifier. Being a so-called "student" model, Fender didn't screw it up in the 70s with pull-boost and other goofy features. The amp remained good-sounding. The small cabinet restricts how much bass frequency the unit can reproduce. As you dial up the volume, if you don't ride the bass knob the amp _will_ get woofy. The Champ does the same thing. Therefore, as you spin the volume knob north of 4-5, ease back on the bass knob. 3-4 should do it. If the speaker is still woofy, the speaker is probably tired, after all these years. The Weber Signature 8 4-ohm sounds nice and isn't too expensive.
Old 16th July 2011, 02:19 AM   #9
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

You cant go wrong with Celestion 10" 30w vintage ...
E
Old 18th July 2011, 07:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm puzzled by why if the amp is designed to take an 8", 4 ohm speaker that everyone keeps recommending 10", 8 ohm speakers?

In any event, this is an aging post, so I'd imagine the OP has probably already made his selection.

Hide this!Advertise here!