guitar amp speaker recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't that a 12" driver?

A bigger cabinet would allow a much greater choice of drivers for your amp, but if you can try the drivers before you buy them, that'd be best. Or find somewhere that accepts returns if you don't like.

As an aside, I assumed it's an open backed cabinet at the moment. Is this so?
A closed-back speaker will have more output in the bass than an open backed cabinet with the same driver. So, if it is a closed-back, removing the back may sort out the problems in the LF

Chris

Mulevaline, the Bronco is a nice amplifier. Being a so-called "student" model, Fender didn't screw it up in the 70s with pull-boost and other goofy features. The amp remained good-sounding. The small cabinet restricts how much bass frequency the unit can reproduce. As you dial up the volume, if you don't ride the bass knob the amp _will_ get woofy. The Champ does the same thing. Therefore, as you spin the volume knob north of 4-5, ease back on the bass knob. 3-4 should do it. If the speaker is still woofy, the speaker is probably tired, after all these years. The Weber Signature 8 4-ohm sounds nice and isn't too expensive.

The Cajun and the Celestion are usually 8 ohm - I'm not sure they're available as 4 ohm.

Speakers are commonly available in either 4, 8 or 16 - and certainly guitar speakers are VERY commonly available in all three.

deluxedoc said:
An 8-ohm speaker will sap the power from your amplifier

This is a bit 'misleading', it won't 'sap' the power from the amplifier - you will only get about half (slightly over half in practice) the power - but that's only because the amplifier is running much easier.

ok, it turns out I didn't need a new speaker. The problem with the low tones was a grounding issue of the transformer. A repairman had grounded improperly, to the wrong part. After that was corrected, no woofiness. Yes, still has the original Oxford speaker. Great tone, (using with a Harmony Rocket).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.