diyAudio (
-   Instruments and Amps (
-   -   Advice: medium power bass guitar amp/speakers (

dizmayed 27th June 2011 04:00 AM

Advice: medium power bass guitar amp/speakers
My friend is a full-time professional bassist and has used GK MB150s for years. Now she (quickly) needs an amp that will drive 4 10" speakers. She seeks a similar amp that will drive such speakers. Instrument is mainly a Klevinger bass for jazz/blues gigs.

She also is looking for a compact 4 10" speaker box. Portability is important.

I lurk here and respect the opinions I read. Is there a better forum for this question?

Appreciate advice,

dizmayed 28th June 2011 08:26 PM

Okay I realize my post was not really appropriate for this forum. We were trying to gather as many opinions as possible in a hurry.

FYI, after lots of auditioning, Ruth chose a SWR Marcus Miller 4 x 10" speaker cabinet and a TC Electronic RH750 amp.

Interesting foray into small high-power Class D amps and sealed bass boxes. Very totable, an imp't requirement.

tinitus 28th June 2011 09:05 PM

moved to Musical Instruments

indianajo 28th June 2011 11:15 PM

You might update your personal profile to show your country and or city. I don't recognize any of those brands as sold here- not on craigslist, either.

dizmayed 29th June 2011 01:16 AM

Dear Indianajo:

Yes, thx for that tip. On this forum, I lurk more often than post.

SWR is in Arizona.
Ruth's Marcus Miller Golight 4x10 is described below.

TC Electronic is in Denmark.
Her new RH750 is described below.
TC Electronic

GK is of course, Gallien Krueger, but I bet you're familiar with that name. I hope she made a good choice. Me, I know next to nothing abt bass amplification, etc!

Oakland CA

geraldfryjr 29th June 2011 07:02 AM

I had a friend that ran 2 4X10" Trace Elliot amp setup with a Tobias Killer B bass, Very nice sounding system and very punchy! jer

phase_accurate 29th June 2011 07:19 AM

I don't think it hs to be really loud - In this case I'd even go for a 2x10".

Enzo 30th June 2011 07:48 AM

SWR and TC are sold all over the USA.

SWR has been a division of Fender for a long time, and TC has been selling things like effects for years.

And GK has been around just forever.