Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2011, 11:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default marmac valve head

hi got this the other day its sounds great even though its never had new valves.
gonna put new ones in soon as, its very hissy on the treble, any idea how i might cure this....or has any one else got aany marmac amps of any other info on them. was built in early 70 s in sligo ireland..thanx again cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marmac.jpg (19.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg under marmac.jpg (54.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg inside off.jpg (41.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 24th June 2011, 12:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like a hybrid valve SS amp.

It could be the old style op amps causing the excessive hiss.
Might be worth replacing them with newer op amps.

I used to have a Simms-Watts amp that looked very similar (case wise) and that could really rock when turned up. Despite being 100watts I couldnt stand next to it becasue it was so loud.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi thanxs for interest, you are the second person to suggest changing the op amps, so think it could be the thing to do. it currently uses LM741cn which are old. was told to check out LM833, if it uses dual op amps. however i think its not using dual, could ya recomend a replacement......thanxs.
this too is loud and great sound too.

Hide this!Advertise here!