Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2011, 03:18 AM   #931
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Someone mentioned pictures of babes with guitar amps and a moderator decided to veto the path that this thread might have taken. "
I must have missed that part,
Old 19th August 2011, 10:46 PM   #932
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Someone mentioned pictures of babes with guitar amps and a moderator decided to veto the path that this thread might have taken. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I must have missed that part,
It would probably be allowed if the babe in the picture was demonstrating one of the amps being built for this thread.
Old 20th August 2011, 11:38 AM   #933
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, my challenge amp is now setting in the pile of " things that might get finished" someday.

I have been swamped lately and adding another amp to my collection just does not make my mix of priority projects. Maybe around December I can find more time as the outdoor venue stuff slows down and I get less repair stuff.
Old 20th August 2011, 12:14 PM   #934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Well, my challenge amp is now setting in the pile of " things that might get finished" someday.

I have been swamped lately and adding another amp to my collection just does not make my mix of priority projects. Maybe around December I can find more time as the outdoor venue stuff slows down and I get less repair stuff.

Sure we will still be around playing with our little creations then.

Speaking of what signal voltage a guitar puts out, anyone want to know more on the frequency response? Well at least one guy's look at the guitar electronics end of things.

PSPICE Modeling of Guitar Circuits with Effects of the Instrument Cable
Old 21st August 2011, 06:57 PM   #935
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OT posts removed. Let's focus instead on the subject of the thread..

(While also noting that I am extremely sympathetic wrt to the issues discussed in the posts I removed.)
Old 21st August 2011, 08:24 PM   #936
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
... For those of you with guitars handy, do you know your nominal signal voltages? I saw earlier in the thread that estimates were between 0.1v and 6v. I'm assuming 2v p-p,.
The thing to remember is that all guitars have volume controls. So they put out whatever voltage you like, up to some limit. It also depends if you are playing single line of notes or if you are doing chords. You might expect a chord to be up to six times more voltage than a single notes. The player will adjust the guitar volume if he wants to push the amp harder or not.

Your 2v p-p estimate is about right for my single coil seat if I strum a loud chord.

And then it is likely that things other then a guitar, like maybe a pedal, might be plugged into the amp, Pedals are typically solid state and powered by a 9V battery

No need for a volume control on the input jack, like on a HiFi amp. There is already one on the guitar. But you do need a huge range of attenuation after the first gain stage.
Old 21st August 2011, 08:30 PM   #937
diyAudio Member

Here's a measured value for one guitar:

The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:22 PM   #938
diyAudio Member

Seems like I am the only one left building something, yet nobody replies...
Old 22nd August 2011, 05:56 PM   #939
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have 3 amps and 3 speaker cabinets in the construction / tweaking phase. We are now in the forecast path of a Category 3 hurricane which causes all normal activity to cease, except going to work.

Best case: we get Friday off work, the storm passes off to the east and I get an extra day to tinker.

Worst case: What happened the last time a major storm visited Florida. Major damage, no electricity for 3 weeks, most gas stations unable to pump gas because there's no power. Lines at the open stations were 3 to 5 hours long. No frozen or referigerated food at the stores. No electricity, No amp tinkering, No fun.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:45 PM   #940
scott17 is offline scott17  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
I have been tinkering with the 6AF11. I finally got the circuit to work without oscillating, which was not easy by the way. I used the Squirrel Monkey scheme as a starting point but could not get that circuit to work at the B+ voltage I am using without severe oscillation. Had to change quite a few values. The RC filter, and screen voltage were a little tricky to get right. Not sure I can come in under $100 though since I used parts I had on hand like a small Edcor PT, 15H choke, and a Champ replacement OT. It also uses a 6CA4 tube power supply. The B+ is 250V, so I'm guessing the Triad isolation transformer could be used with a voltage doubler and do away with tube rectification. The amp actually sounds really good. I did not use a tone control or feedback. It does not really need it. Nice punchy clean tone at low volume and some nice breakup when cranked. It's also dead quiet. I wired it selectable for pentode or triode operation.

Hide this!Advertise here!