The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2011, 01:03 PM   #711
diyAudio Member

Quote:
5 tubes and not enough dirt?........I had finished the 5 tube killer from the tone stack output to the speaker before I put it aside due to a smoking power transformer.
The amp has 4 gain stages in the preamp section. I am only using the last gain stage (with no cathode bypass cap) plus the PI and output stage right now. The front half of the board isn't populated yet. I start populating at the power supply then the output stages and then work my way towards the input, testing and tweaking each stage as I go. That way I don't get a big surprise when I build everything plug it in and it smokes or oscillates.

I made the measurements to judge the frequency response. I am using a 80 VA guitar amp OPT and see response down to 14 Hz. This is no good when I swap to a low $$$ OPT due to saturation. Some cap values need to be lowered.

Last time I worked on it the power transformer began to smell funny after playing with the board for a couple of hours. I then put the board aside and waited for some bigger transformers. During that time I went back to AMP 1.0 and made it into Amp 1.1.

Quote:
A clean amp with some pedals? How you going to sell an amp like that?
Not sure if I will sell any of these, but after listening to about a zillion Youtube clips I have come to realize two things. My guitar playing really SUCKS, and I need some reverb in one of my amps. The DSP reverb in my pedal board sounds cool, but to get a surf guitar sound (where I started a long time ago) you need real springs.
Old 25th July 2011, 01:03 PM   #712
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
‪G & L Telecaster ASAT Classic Part 2 clean‬‏ - YouTube
That sounds too good. Something phony is going on. I bet heavy editing.
Old 25th July 2011, 02:13 PM   #713
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I took my 10W amp by a locial luthier this weekend and he stated that I should combine the speaker cab and head into a combo and add a spring reverb tank and he felt he could sell some.

Is reverb that popular? I thought it went out with the 70s.

The reverb on the Gibson Falcon I worked on was pretty tame.
Old 25th July 2011, 04:38 PM   #714
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
That sounds too good. Something phony is going on. I bet heavy editing.
You mean besides the fact that he's playing lead to a pre-recorded rhythm track?
Old 25th July 2011, 04:58 PM   #715
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Yeah, two guitars there. To finish this story about embellishing your sound I say: kudos to the people who do it. IMO posting an audio clip with low gain and hiss is as good or worse than not posting anything. We are no fools. Let people judge who did the better job at the end. I can discern a good guitar sound no matter if it's accompanied by a drum track, a rhythm guitar or a reverb effect. Some people here think you can edit almost anything to sound good. I don't.
Old 25th July 2011, 07:52 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
You mean besides the fact that he's playing lead to a pre-recorded rhythm track?
Sounds to me like he's playing his rhythm track into the delay box he's demo'ing, then going over it with his melody line. Watch closely at 0:40 where he stomps the button and the little light flashes.

He's clearly playing through some effects besides the delay, but what makes you think the sound is post processed? I don't hear any external compression or obvious EQ, and would EQing the recorded mix be cheating anyway?

Geez, look how the teddy bear's holding the nice condenser mic... This sounds to me like nothing more than a Fender amp close-mic'd.

Last edited by Michael Koster; 25th July 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 25th July 2011, 08:14 PM   #717
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
Sounds to me like he's playing his rhythm track into the delay box he's demo'ing, then going over it with his melody line. Watch closely at 0:40 where he stomps the button and the little light flashes.

He's clearly playing through some effects besides the delay, but what makes you think the sound is post processed? I don't hear any external compression or obvious EQ, and would EQing the recorded mix be cheating anyway?

Geez, look how the teddy bear's holding the nice condenser mic... This sounds to me like nothing more than a Fender amp close-mic'd.
I may be wrong, but it seems I can discern some kind of stereo effect which is not possible with a single microphone. Like I said, I may be wrong.

Really nice little jam though. Very tasty, and a really great tone regardless.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:24 PM   #718
diyAudio Member

The guy is really talented. He uses these clips to buy and sell guitars, has done about 2000. He lists the effects that he goes through on the little blurb under the video. The delay pedal he uses as a looper, sometimes he uses a reverb pedal and a FET overdrive pedal. People has asked about his recording rig and he said it is the mike into a mixer and straight into the video recorder. They do mix in backing tracts that he plays along with on some of the videos.

As one of the comments on the page said, "...secret to a great sounding guitar...go home and practice".
Old 26th July 2011, 01:35 AM   #719
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is reverb that popular? I thought it went out with the 70s.
Reverb and tremelo were popular in the 60's and lost their mass appeal in the 70's. I played a lot of surf music in the 60's and both were mandantory. Blatant overuse of reverb is not common any more but a subtle touch does a lot to fatten up the sound.
Old 26th July 2011, 01:47 AM   #720
diyAudio Member

I used to mix a few small time bands about 10 years ago.

I've heard plenty of guitar and amp combinations that sounded very, very nice with no effects. Often the guitar amp wasn't even mic'd - just a guitar, only occasionally a distortion pedal, and an amp with pencil marks on the controls marking the sweet spots. Unfortunately the sweet spots often corresponded to "quite loud enough to get complaints" and trying to explain (shouting) that half the band wasn't even in the mix often didn't cut it.

Fine sounding guitar with no effects is not at all a controversial concept to me. It does help if the player has a wee bit of skill though.

Hide this!Advertise here!