The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2011, 04:38 PM   #601
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Koster View Post
If the back opening of the cabinet is large enough vs it's internal volume to place the Helmholz resonance well below the lowest notes, then the enclosure should act like an open baffle and would be analyzed as such. There can be a lot of coloration depending on the 1/2 wave distance around the edge of the baffle. I would expect that and the driver characteristics to define the basic "sound" of the cabinet.
Actually I meant to say when the opening large enough to minimize the Helmholtz effect the enclosure acts as an open baffle.
Old 16th July 2011, 04:41 PM   #602
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm. The speaker cab response is not likely to be flat... Where it peaks and dips will create a sound that may or may not work with the instrument, player, and music being played. Sort of like a hollow body guitar. Clearly one doesn't want "wolf tones" or serious muffling of anything, but to some extent it just defines a unique sound, not good or bad.

One thing I have found is I can't predict what I will like from the response plot.
Larger hole = higher tuning
Old 16th July 2011, 05:10 PM   #603
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Hmm. The speaker cab response is not likely to be flat... Where it peaks and dips will create a sound that may or may not work with the instrument, player, and music being played. Sort of like a hollow body guitar. Clearly one doesn't want "wolf tones" or serious muffling of anything, but to some extent it just defines a unique sound, not good or bad.

One thing I have found is I can't predict what I will like from the response plot.
I feel, some preferences existed. Something should be hidden in cabinet sizes, in material thickness preferences...

Like, I don't believe that Stradivari used to make instruments of random sizes and proportions.
Old 16th July 2011, 05:30 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Larger hole = higher tuning
of course

My little 12 cabinet tunes below 200 Hz, but the effect is not huge for an opening this size.

The 1/2 wave baffle step is above 200 Hz...

This seems to work well with a stiff cone speaker like the C12R I have in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (99.8 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (105.8 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by Michael Koster; 16th July 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 16th July 2011, 06:33 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't believe that Stradivari used to make instruments of random sizes and proportions.
Of course not. But how did he find the perfect recipie? Trial and error?

For some people who are skilled in the art, have experience, and know what they want, a simple computer model can spit out a speaker box. For most of us, it's guess, try, repeat.

For amp designs, I proceed the same way. It's that 40+ years of experience minimizes the number of incorrect guesses. For this challenge there was one already. Amp 2.0 is being soldered together right now. There are 2 flavors. One looks "normal" and one has the Tubelab mark of excess on it. I'll post pictures once a few parts are mounted.
Old 16th July 2011, 06:54 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Of course not. But how did he find the perfect recipie? Trial and error?
Do you mean everyone who reads this discussion have to rush to saw wood and search for a Holy Grail?

No one dares to share own experience with the community?
Old 16th July 2011, 07:15 PM   #607
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
of course

My little 12 cabinet tunes below 200 Hz, but the effect is not huge for an opening this size.

The 1/2 wave baffle step is above 200 Hz...

This seems to work well with a stiff cone speaker like the C12R I have in there.
Nice work, very nice!
Old 16th July 2011, 07:36 PM   #608
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice cab, but how do you hold the front panel in?

Blind screws extending through the front panel before covering?
Old 16th July 2011, 09:05 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you mean everyone who reads this discussion have to rush to saw wood and search for a Holy Grail?........No one dares to share own experience with the community?
Just as a fiddle player in a bluegrass band wouldn't use a Stradivarius, my cabinets may be of no use to others, and as yet I have no sound samples, but I can share my designs. So far I have one complete guitar cabinet I made over 10 years ago. It can be seen in the lower right of the photo.

The speakers are Electro-Voice 10 inch guitar speakers which were obtained for $69 each at the grand opening sale of the now defunct Mars Music. I don't think they are made any more. These speakers can eat lotsawatts and were designed for a sealed box. I slapped this box together from 1/2 inch MDF. The inside dimensions are 24 inches by 12 inches by 8 inches deep. It likes big power and is seen here eating everything that my Uber Champ test amp running an 833A in SE on 1500 volts could dish out. Over 200 watts. Note the glowing 833A just above the left side of the speaker behind the blast shield. This cabinet sounds best doing a Jimi imitation at ear bleeding volume levels, so may not work for this challenge but I will try it.

I have another cabinet I made in wood shop class, but I still haven't put a speaker in it yet since I have no working amp yet. I went to Home Depot and bought a stack of pine and collected about 10 assorted budget speakers from 6 to 12 inches......stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LesPaulTest1b-2.jpg (104.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 16th July 2011, 09:12 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

George, I am waiting for your Youtube presentations! Good luck! Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!