The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge - Page 156 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2012, 11:00 AM   #1551
diyAudio Member

I would like to see (hear?) what you did. I am on another forum where a student wanted to analyze make a Marshall amp as a thesis for school but they only allow up to 40V. I suggested and tried a couple of 6AU6's at 40V and found they sounded much better than 12A*7 tubes in low voltage starved plate. Plan to get back to it soon.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:54 PM   #1552
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Well, it works. And it's very quiet - no hum and no microphonic noises. I reckon gain is around 30. It's not enough to drive a two stage SE audio amp into heavy distortion. However, in front of my Champ this thing does Metal. I haven't played much but distortion is fuzzy, ear-piercing.... kinda fun but I wouldn't say tube-like. Warm, it is not. Anyway, early days, random values and no tweaking yet. Plate resistor is 100K, screen resistor is 1K and cathode resistor is 2.7K.

Jazbo8 - I read that but I think you'd run into problems with a high value plate resistor. The trick with pentodes is not to aim for too much gain, otherwise microphonics becomes a huge problem.

Printer - It doesn't sound like an 12AX7, that's for sure. But, as I said before, I've only played like 10 minutes. With the Champ volume knob on 2 I get very heavy overdrive. On 10, this thing is crazy, I'm not into metal anyway.

Oh, I left the heater supply floating and B+ goes directly to the plate resistor. No additional filtering. Very quiet. Hmmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1081.jpg (427.9 KB, 451 views)
Old 25th September 2012, 11:21 PM   #1553
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Jazbo8 - I read that but I think you'd run into problems with a high value plate resistor. The trick with pentodes is not to aim for too much gain, otherwise microphonics becomes a huge problem.
Makes sense, with the high plate resistors, the pentode will have too much gain at low current = crazy distortion.

Jaz
Old 26th September 2012, 02:33 AM   #1554
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the pentode will have too much gain at low current = crazy distortion.
It's not about crazy distortion, I like that. I like gain. The problem is that at high gain the pentode picks up all kinds of noises.

Well....I have been playing for two hours and I have to retract my comments of not sounding tube-like. I was feeling guilty for saying that. I bypassed the first stage of my Champ and played with this pentode preamp then back to the 6SL7. Just playing with a slight overdrive. Totally different tone, I can't decide which one I like best. I like both. I thought this was going to be some kind of a joke, a pastime, an experiment; but it sounds much better than it should.

I have a lot of stuff to do so this is my last comment about this preamp. Won't tweak the circuit, not anytime soon anyway. Pretty busy for the next couple of months.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:56 AM   #1555
diyAudio Member

My favourite pentode 6AK5 is not at all hungry for volts.
Picked up a Peavey Royal 8 at the 2nd hand shop nice and cheap. Had to "improve" it of course. One input jack is the standard input, and the other feeds a triode strapped 6AK5 (gain of 20) in front of the 12AX7. I took the bypass cap off the 2nd triode to manage the gain structure.

No more playing for now. Moving house from Australia to New Zealand.
Old 13th October 2012, 04:22 AM   #1556
diyAudio Member

So I am trying an alternative board material, got some eyelets from a craft store and put them in some kitchen top laminate. Seems like it will work.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:36 PM   #1557
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printer2 View Post
So I am trying an alternative board material, got some eyelets from a craft store and put them in some kitchen top laminate. Seems like it will work.

Click the image to open in full size.

It does work, I have done that at least 15 times.

If you check around with the local cabinet shops they often carry what we call color core laminate. It is a tiny bit thicker and comes in plain/solid colors.
It is not as hard to drill.

I got a bunch free, scrapes, and leftovers they were about to throw out.
ColorCore - Formica Group
Old 13th October 2012, 01:09 PM   #1558
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
It does work, I have done that at least 15 times.

If you check around with the local cabinet shops they often carry what we call color core laminate. It is a tiny bit thicker and comes in plain/solid colors.
It is not as hard to drill.

I got a bunch free, scrapes, and leftovers they were about to throw out.
ColorCore - Formica Group

Cool. I originally glued two pieces together and it was really stiff but my eyelets were a little short to go through them both. With the six mounting bolts I don't think I will have a problem but it is good to know there is some thicker material. Can't beat free either, I was going to ask our carpentry department if they had some scraps and before I got to their shop I saw a bunch in their garbage can. I found it drilled easy enough but you just had to take care the bit does not walk away from the intended spot. (Lack of focus on the bit's part)

I put some eyelets in the mounting bolt holes, not sure if it is necessary but I did not want to accidental crack the board. This seems to be a easy and quick way to get a circuit built up. I like it.
Old 18th October 2012, 01:33 AM   #1559
diyAudio Member

It's finished and I'm very happy with it. Thick, meaty distortion. It's called 24K for reasons I don't need to explain. I don't like jewelry looks but I lit up a joint and this was the unfortunate result. Haha. No worries, just for fun.

* Yes, photo no good. Never proud of the stuff I build so why bother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1121.jpg (236.7 KB, 365 views)
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:09 AM   #1560
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmtrs View Post
"The amplifier must be reasonably safe. No line-powered (non-isolated) designs will be considered"... Why, if it's a safe line-powered design and the chassis is intended un-exposed?
Before even considering the serious safety issues surrounding non-isolated circuits, these designs are illegal in many parts of the world.

Why place your great-grandson at risk of electrocution, to save the minimal expense of an isolation transformer?

Hide this!Advertise here!