The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge - Page 153 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 12:51 AM   #1521
diyAudio Member

Any idea what you would like, what price range, what are your construction capabilities-resources?
Old 17th August 2012, 01:57 AM   #1522
diyAudio Member

Default what Im thinkining

Hey thanks for asking !
there isn't much to try around here so I've been listening to a lot of clips and youtube stuff .. it seems like a trainwreck express clone or liverpool might be the way to go .. One guy that I really can't afford suggested a liverpool based amp with kt 77's - that sounded really intriguing . Maybe someday..
skills .. well I bought a fender blues jr and a friend helped me modify it .
Its on consignment right now and I should be able to get 5 or 6 hundred , US -out of it . It turned out to be everything I don't want in a amplifier.

so all my resources right now are tied up there .
And a complete build would probably be too much of a stretch at this point anyway .

So that's where I am right now
Old 17th August 2012, 03:02 AM   #1523
diyAudio Member

Since you were looking in a $100 amp thread maybe you might be interested in a low buck trainwreck type amp. Not sure if you can download this or you need to be a member of the Wattkins forum first.

Wattkins Amp Forums | Welcome To The Amp Builder's Community Center

http://www.wattkins.com/files/wattki...reck_Schem.pdf

The forum is in their 'Thrifty' series developing a Thrifty Train Wreck.

http://www.wattkins.com/node/17851
Old 17th August 2012, 04:16 PM   #1524
diyAudio Member

perfect!
Old 24th August 2012, 05:21 AM   #1525
diyAudio Member

Default Thrifty Wreck

You probably can't build a Thrifty Wreck for $100 if you have to buy everything ... but you probably could get under $200
buying a Dirty Dawg chassis, Antek AS-05T280 PT, Hammond 125E (from STF), a set of tubes (I'd at least get a spare of each $2 ea) and sockets including shipping in the US will run under $150 ...

If you aren't a wattkins.com member and don't want to join you can find Thrifty Wreck files here: Directory Index ... and you can find a bit of information here as well: Wattkins.com Thrifty Wreck Tour
Old 24th August 2012, 05:28 AM   #1526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
... well I bought a fender blues jr and a friend helped me modify it .
Its on consignment right now and I should be able to get 5 or 6 hundred , US -out of it . It turned out to be everything I don't want in a amplifier.

If a BJ turned out to be everything you don't want ... what do you want ???
Old 25th August 2012, 12:27 AM   #1527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_mumbles View Post
You probably can't build a Thrifty Wreck for $100 if you have to buy everything ... but you probably could get under $200
buying a Dirty Dawg chassis, Antek AS-05T280 PT, Hammond 125E (from STF), a set of tubes (I'd at least get a spare of each $2 ea) and sockets including shipping in the US will run under $150 ...

If you aren't a wattkins.com member and don't want to join you can find Thrifty Wreck files here: Directory Index ... and you can find a bit of information here as well: Wattkins.com Thrifty Wreck Tour
Why would someone not want to join and have the benefit of all the experience gained in that forum?
Old 25th August 2012, 12:38 AM   #1528
diyAudio Member

Good one Printer2 ...

I have talked to some people that feel that they are already involved with too many forums etc ... too many forums too little time ???
Old 28th August 2012, 12:53 PM   #1529
diyAudio Member

Default My 6AF11 PP Amp - it works!

Inspired by scott17 & Tubelab's postings at The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge, I decided to give 6AF11 PP a go. My initial results were exactly the same as Tubelab's - oscillation galore. After trying a few different designs and layouts, I managed to get the amp to work, I used many off-the-shelf parts for the PS, the OPT is actually a bit over-sized for the job, but I can't find anything smaller here...

The rough BOM is as follows:

2 x 6AF11 - $2
12V 5A SMPS - $5
12V-260V 60mA DC-DC Converter - $3
10K:8 OPT - $16
R, C, pots, wires - $3
DIY chassis from sheet-metal wire-duct - $2
-------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-total - $31 (not including cabinet)

The schematic -> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1326040/6AF11PP%20No%20TS.pdf

I am still fiddling with the design, it is a bit thin sounding at lower volume, so I may put in a coupling cap selector a la Orange. The filaments for the 6AF11 are wired in series and run directly off the 12V supply. The bias voltage is from a simple voltage divider off the 12V supply as well.

For those that're interested, the build-log -> 6AF11 Push-Pull Compactron Guitar Amp jazzbo8's adventure. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Jaz

Last edited by jazbo8; 28th August 2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29th August 2012, 11:05 AM   #1530
diyAudio Member

Just took a quick look, have something to look forward to when I get home tonight. Where did you get the SMPS and the DC to DC converter?

Hide this!Advertise here!