Anybody else here build or modify tube guitar amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Latest project (order from a friend) is a Push Pull 6V6 guitar amp using all 6SL7 octals for the preamp and phase splitter (concertina).

I just finished a quad 6V6 PPP amp (using 9 pin dual-triode preamp tubes) using a concertina phase splitter and the feel and sound is fantastic. I briefly tried an LTP PS and it made the ouput harsh and the feel was way too snappy. I'm using a big OPT out of my Fender Super Reverb so there is a tonne of headroom and the LTP PS was too much.

Dave,
It has been my view for a while that the concertina splitter is one of those "best kept secrets" of great guitar amp design although I note that it is making a come back. A lot of people arre starting to use them again. I found best results when using a high mu triode (12AX7, 12AT7, 6SL7) which tends to emphasize the sonic "warts" of the concertina and it is those "warts" which sound good in a guitar amp. This is in contrast to the concertina used in a HiFi Amp where a low mu triode is best (12AU7, 6DJ8).

Did you use the Merlin Blencowe recommended big grid stop on the concertina triode?

Cheers,
Ian

Dave,
It has been my view for a while that the concertina splitter is one of those "best kept secrets" of great guitar amp design although I note that it is making a come back. A lot of people arre starting to use them again. I found best results when using a high mu triode (12AX7, 12AT7, 6SL7) which tends to emphasize the sonic "warts" of the concertina and it is those "warts" which sound good in a guitar amp. This is in contrast to the concertina used in a HiFi Amp where a low mu triode is best (12AU7, 6DJ8).

Did you use the Merlin Blencowe recommended big grid stop on the concertina triode?

Cheers,
Ian

I didn't use a fixed grid stopper as I have my master volume control right before the concertina. I'm currently using a 12AX7 in there, and have tried several other tubes, but have also found that the AX sounds the best. I will definitely be using concertina PI's in the future.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.