Fender M80 bass amp repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2011, 07:54 PM   #1
zvir is offline zvir  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Fender M80 bass amp repair

Hi everyone.
I recently got an old Fender M80, that had been sitting in the basement a long time after it died. When I started checking it for problems, I found that several things there are blown. So I just went from the beginning. I fed it a sine wave and started following the signal path with an oscilloscope. I found the first problem in the EQ section of the preamp. One of the op-amps (U3B) is oscillating at RF, and I can't figure out why. Can anyone have a look? I can post o'scope traces if necessary, just tell me where to stick the probe
Thank you.

Schematic: http://www.pmfst.hr/~zvodom/m80.pdf
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
have you tried out to solder a cap (47nF........100nF) across the power supply pins of the tl072 ? perhaps this can help.
if it does not,i would simply change the opamp,the tl072 are cheap and easily available.
greetings
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:21 AM   #3
zvir is offline zvir  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I appreciate your input, but unfortunately, it doesn't help... Soldering a cap does nothing, and I already replaced all of the op-amps in the circuit. Also, I noticed that, when I ground the non-inverting input of the op-amp, the oscillations stop. That would mean that they are coming from somewhere before this point, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!