Guitar Valve Amp Output Transfomers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The Mercury Magnetics choke
Mercury Magnetics Axiom MAR100-C
costs around 30$.
It's a near perfect replica of the original choke, that was a little undersized, BUT tributed to the overall virtues of the amp (with hundreds of other parts that contributed to the "tone" that is hard to DIY.

Regards, Peter
Old 7th April 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, Mercury Magnetics' products are WAY too overpriced. They justify it with long winded maketing mumbo jumbo to make it seem that their transformers are unique and will make you sound like Hendrix when you play through their transformers. This might fly with Hi-Fi transformers, but quite frankliy, guitar transformers are not wound that critically. In fact to get that "classic" tone, the cheaper the output transformer is wound, usually the better.
I guess they charge so much in order to pay their marketing dept.
Daniel

Try Triode Electronics or Antique Electronic Supply for Transformers / chokes. Their prices are better.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hey,

Thank you all for the feedback!
I've got the power Transformer off Ebay today. So, after checking to see if the voltages are correct, Il think about investing more money into building the 100w version of this amp... I'll have to think about that though... I may just make the 50w version and if that sounds awful, build the 100w version

ChrisA: Thanks for the info!.. .I think il take your advice and buy everything at once, It seems like a plan!.. I'll buy a separate output transformer as well

tinitus: Yea, This will be my first amp. My brother built a hi-fi amp and got loads of info from this site! I was just hoping to do the same. I think I should be able to follow the diagram... but I'll need to do a lot of testing! Thanks for the extra diagram though, I may build this as a test and then just go up from there

Many Thanks to everyone else as well! - Answered all my questions!

Hide this!Advertise here!