Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2003, 04:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Bass Amp

Hello everyone. I come here from the video forum from this site because a friend of mine talked me into getting a bass. I am not a good bass player yet, cause I just started. I want to learn without spending much money, so I have my bass hooked up to my PC and surround sound system. Now, this is fine to my ears, but there's a half second delay between the bass and the speakers. I was wondering if anyone had any schematics for a bass amplifier that could be done with a spare subwoofer and $30. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2003, 09:53 AM   #2
fezz is offline fezz  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi, sorry about the wait.

im in a band and as i have an electronic drum kit we all run our instruments though a standard amplfier - it works very well.

i would recomend making a gainclone type amplfier or simply going around second hand stored and buy one that fits within your price range.

hope this helps
Old 26th September 2003, 09:21 AM   #3
sangram is online now sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I had built a very nice bass amp using a TDA 7294 for my bass player. It kept right up with the acoustic drumset and our little 20 watt practice amps, wasn't good enough for bigger things like shows, but not bad for home practice.

As a guideline, the bass should have about 2x the power of the lead / rythm guitarist to be able be heard, if you're talking hard rock. For other music forms it depends on how loud other instruments are, but 2x is a good rule of thumb.

This is because bass takes much more power to achieve similar SPL. Of course, this is again for live concerts/home practice. when recording mostly bass can be recorded through a DI box and do not need amps (again, no fixed rules, but this is generally what happens)...

Hide this!Advertise here!