Fender 5C1 Choke - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2010, 06:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fender 5C1 Choke

All,

I'm putting together a Fender 5C1 clone and want some advice on the choke in the CLC supply for the B+. Simulated at 10H, ripple is ~20mV and at 5H ripple is ~40mV. I believe original Fender chokes were ~4H.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with the 5H over the 10H and vise versa?

Thank you,
Old 17th December 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would suggest using the same as Fender did - valve amplifiers are really about low quality, improving the quality of the design will probably affect the sound in ways you don't want. Part of the 'valve sound' which some people seem to find appealing is partly down to poor power supplies, bad regulation, and excessive mains hum. This is why some modern designs have switchable rectifiers, modern silicon ones for higher and cleaner output, and original valve ones for lower power, higher distortion, and a nice 'droopy' HT rail.
Old 17th December 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I want low noise. Fender did what they did as a "good enough" solution not to create "the sound". "The sound" came from timeless recordings made using what was available. So bigger choke, lower noise and less sag? (I want less sag.)
Old 18th December 2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You making a 5C1 or a 5E1?

5E1 - choke, 6V6, 12AX7, 5Y3.

5C1 - 500 ohm resistor, 6V6, 6SJ7, 5Y3.

First, this is a single ended amp - one power tube. it is running in class A, so you are not getting sag to begin with.

Are you using those tiny little 8uf filter caps as in the original? Bump those up to 20uf and see how that smooths things.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

5c1 variant...
clc ps
cathode bias
Attached Files
File Type: pdf champ-1.pdf (31.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 18th December 2010, 04:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Chris-
I think your amp will be 'quiet enough' when you get it built, with the design 'as is'. Pay attention to your grounding in the build.
Most guitars are so noisy (especially single coil PUs) that amp noise is a minor thing...ie amp is quiet, plug in guitar and the fun starts.
All in the game.....

John
PS- make sure you use a decent speaker (eg Weber speaker for Champ or better); the 'original' speakers that Leo used were pretty cheap. (I've owned a few tweed Champs).
Old 18th December 2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
Chris-
ie amp is quiet, plug in guitar and the fun starts.
All in the game.....

Yeeeeeeah! Unless he plays with his avatar's guitar.
Most electric guitars are so noisy that worrying about the size of the choke sounds funny.

Quote:
I want low noise.
Quote:
I want less sag
So, why are you building this one? SE with tube rectifier.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have a 2 ch EL34 PP with SS rectifier and tone stack. I want something different, simple, and not quite as loud.

For speaker I haven't decided between the Scumnico 12", the ToneTubby 12" or the Weber NeoMag 15". I like the clean sound of the old JBL D130 a lot.

Best,
Old 18th December 2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

OK, go with the choke with less resistance (5H). Hum should be low. I like the pentode preamp but your guitar pickups need to output a strong signal, otherwise gain might not be enough. Depending on how loud you want it to be the speaker sensitivity will be very important.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I figured I could alter my overall SPL output via speaker choice.

Most guitar amplifier schematics I have looked at only have volume controls as gain attenuation at the amplification stage. Are there any advantages to adding a pot at the input so that the gain at both the preamp and the power amp can be attenuated?

Hide this!Advertise here!