Fender 5C1 Choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,

I'm putting together a Fender 5C1 clone and want some advice on the choke in the CLC supply for the B+. Simulated at 10H, ripple is ~20mV and at 5H ripple is ~40mV. I believe original Fender chokes were ~4H.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to going with the 5H over the 10H and vise versa?

Thank you,

I would suggest using the same as Fender did - valve amplifiers are really about low quality, improving the quality of the design will probably affect the sound in ways you don't want. Part of the 'valve sound' which some people seem to find appealing is partly down to poor power supplies, bad regulation, and excessive mains hum. This is why some modern designs have switchable rectifiers, modern silicon ones for higher and cleaner output, and original valve ones for lower power, higher distortion, and a nice 'droopy' HT rail.

You making a 5C1 or a 5E1?

5E1 - choke, 6V6, 12AX7, 5Y3.

5C1 - 500 ohm resistor, 6V6, 6SJ7, 5Y3.

First, this is a single ended amp - one power tube. it is running in class A, so you are not getting sag to begin with.

Are you using those tiny little 8uf filter caps as in the original? Bump those up to 20uf and see how that smooths things.

Chris-
I think your amp will be 'quiet enough' when you get it built, with the design 'as is'. Pay attention to your grounding in the build.
Most guitars are so noisy (especially single coil PUs) that amp noise is a minor thing...ie amp is quiet, plug in guitar and the fun starts.
All in the game.....

John
PS- make sure you use a decent speaker (eg Weber speaker for Champ or better); the 'original' speakers that Leo used were pretty cheap. (I've owned a few tweed Champs).

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Chris-
ie amp is quiet, plug in guitar and the fun starts.
All in the game.....

Yeeeeeeah! Unless he plays with his avatar's guitar. :D
Most electric guitars are so noisy that worrying about the size of the choke sounds funny.

I want low noise.
I want less sag

So, why are you building this one? SE with tube rectifier.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
OK, go with the choke with less resistance (5H). Hum should be low. I like the pentode preamp but your guitar pickups need to output a strong signal, otherwise gain might not be enough. Depending on how loud you want it to be the speaker sensitivity will be very important.

I figured I could alter my overall SPL output via speaker choice.

Most guitar amplifier schematics I have looked at only have volume controls as gain attenuation at the amplification stage. Are there any advantages to adding a pot at the input so that the gain at both the preamp and the power amp can be attenuated?

I figured I could alter my overall SPL output via speaker choice.

Most guitar amplifier schematics I have looked at only have volume controls as gain attenuation at the amplification stage. Are there any advantages to adding a pot at the input so that the gain at both the preamp and the power amp can be attenuated?
Amps with 'Master Volume' controls are pretty common (sometimes it's 'Gain' and 'Volume').
Playing with a Champ-style amp (like the ValveJr,Champ,small Kalamazoo amps, etc) the volume control on the guitar is an important tone/distortion control. A volume control before the first tube in the amp would be redundant, I think.
Keep it simple on a Champ, IMO.

John

The later Champs used the 12AX7's two triodes rather than the single pentode. In that you could put another control between the 12AX7 stages. But here, I agree with John, a volume control at the input jack would just be in parallel with the one in the guitar.

I agree. The pot in a guitar would make a preamp gain pot redundant...unless of course you account for the pot driving the LRC characteristics of the cable in between the guitar and the amplifier which is only minimized if the pickups in the guitar are active. What do you guys think?

I agree. The pot in a guitar would make a preamp gain pot redundant...unless of course you account for the pot driving the LRC characteristics of the cable in between the guitar and the amplifier which is only minimized if the pickups in the guitar are active. What do you guys think?

I don't worry about stuff like that, especially in a guitar amp.

5C1 - adding gain

I finished this amp a few years ago. If I wanted to add gain, is it best to swap the input tube for something with higher mu or leave it and add a driver tube? I know that the 6SJ7 is well thought of as an input tube, and overall the amp is very nice sounding. Extremely warm, dynamic, touch sensitive and clean. The one mod to the 5C1 that is present already is that it is cathode bias. What would be involved in driving the 6V6 into A2 operation?

Gordon Rankin makes something similar with a 6072A as the driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.