Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Question The Doors -- What amps?

Was watching a doco on The Doors and saw some strange guitar amps I'd never seen before. They were tall and had a horn in the top section. But a nasty looking Atlas type announcement horn. Real "Public Address" kind of horn. Never seen that in a MI amp before!

I thought The Doors were using Ultravox amps, but none of the Ultravox 60s vintage stuff looks like this. They must have sued it a lot, there were several of these in studio and live footage. I can't find anything like it, but don't know my amps that well.

Anyone know what they were?
Old 29th September 2010, 04:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Acoustic The DOORS
Old 29th September 2010, 04:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Ah Ha! Thanks so much - that's it. Now I remember seeing the Acoustic name tag on the amp. Goofy looking thing.
Click the image to open in full size.
Will do more research on it. Are they worth anything these days?
Old 29th September 2010, 04:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Are they worth anything these days?
Are you serious? Have you seen what vintage guitar amp prices are on eBay? Last year I LMAO watching an "as-is" transistor amp that was just a few years old sell for full retail because people just assumed it was a vintage tube amp.
Old 29th September 2010, 04:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

LOL! Well I do know that vintage amps are sought after, just never seen these before. Was wondering if they had a special following.
Old 7th October 2010, 04:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Acoustic was known mostly for the people who used them for bass amps, like John Paul Jones, for example. But there were others too, like the Collectors and Chilliwack. (just check the back cover of the "Mask" album)

The 300 series is worth alot because they were powerful. Apparently very well built, too.

As for Robby Krieger, I saw him use a few Fender Dual Showmans, I think. But that was just in a couple of pictures.
Old 15th May 2013, 08:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic Solid State Amplifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Was watching a doco on The Doors and saw some strange guitar amps I'd never seen before. They were tall and had a horn in the top section. But a nasty looking Atlas type announcement horn. Real "Public Address" kind of horn. Never seen that in a MI amp before!

I thought The Doors were using Ultravox amps, but none of the Ultravox 60s vintage stuff looks like this. They must have sued it a lot, there were several of these in studio and live footage. I can't find anything like it, but don't know my amps that well.

Anyone know what they were?
Blue stripes on the side , horn on top," BRAND ", is "ACOUSTIC". An american made solid state amp, late 60's +. Wow! I thought this was common knowledge. Been looking for one for years. Check out old Doors, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, Vids. Either they didn't make very many or they are all trashed or someone is hording them. Great amps. Want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15th May 2013, 09:38 PM   #8
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Acoustic 270 or its earlier incarnation (260?)
No real PA amps way back then, so you either built a wall of Marshalls (or a couple Dual Showmans in USA) or used a couple pof there.
Over 250W RMS into 4 Altec Lansing speakers (not your cheap Jensen/Oxford as most others) plus a couple mid horns for projection and you would pull dental fillings out of listeners 60 yards away.

Some friends of mine had that same full setup and sound was *unbearable* in a straight line in from of the cabinets.
Old 20th May 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I hated them. But Jaco Pastorius did manage to get good tone out of a pair of Acoustic amps for bass many years.
Old 20th May 2013, 09:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

wow, how to revive an old thread.
(surely almost all guitar amps are horrible straight on? when I mic amps on stage it's direct-offset (about 2/3 out from centre) in studio I use all types of crazy techniques, but none of them tend to be 'dead on'

Hide this!Advertise here!