The Doors -- What amps? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Btw, did you note that Ray Manzarek passed away yesterdays?

R.I.P.!
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Kustom, Sunn and VOX also made "guitar" amps with horns. Most were disconnected by the people that used them. Sometimes keyboard players would use the horn if they wanted a clean high end. The big advantage those Acoustic amps had at the time was that you could have one preamp feeding many powered speaker cabinets.
Old 22nd May 2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Banned

I thought Robby used a twin?
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well, the transistorized US-made VOX amps we saw here had horns. They were nothing like the real British amps. Our Super Beatle, for instance, had 6 12'S and two horns.

A lot of bass speakers still come with horns, usually also with a long-time-constant compressor consisting of a light bulb in series, and a really crappy crossover consisting of a cap in series (or a piezo horn). Again, they are usually turned off.

In college I worked for a band that had a rhythm player who played a strat thru a clean twin with Jensens and 8 piezo tweeters. The crystal-clear highs were astounding. It actually sounded surprizingly good for that particular kind of chucka-chucka rhythm work country rock, definitely claiming its own sonic space against a les paul lead.
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Indeed!
Peavey brought out a (front-of house) speaker similar to this: -

It had 2x12" in a wave-guide, 2x P.A. Horns on top and 2 horn tweeters just below the mid-horns.

Now that I think about it I've seen a set of Yamaha's with the same configuration.

E.V. were, of course, very into their "All-Horn" designs at one stage - Such as the "Eliminator" and "Dominator" (Tremendous speakers for their time)

Aah! the memories!
Regards.
The Sound Man

Last edited by John Cory; 22nd May 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: simpify text
Old 24th May 2013, 07:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic amps

I saw(heard) Jaco play with a folded horn Acoustic cab ,and yes it sounded good, but it still had that lack of distinction that folded horn cabs have when used alone. He was somthing else!
Old 4th June 2013, 05:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The 360 was even used at Woodstock by Santana's bass man. I think every bass player in the world wanted one after the movie came out. :-)
Old 22nd July 2013, 05:35 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The Acoustic 360 was the first really murderous bass amp, with Sixties transistors, 3-ohm speakers, and a horn bin that shot the bass forward like an 12-gauge.

The Santana guy must have really liked that amp, what with the Ampeg truck parked behind the stage the whole time. But for outdoors, yeah, I could see that.
Old 4th August 2013, 12:46 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

The California bands of the late 60s--pro and aiming to be--were big Acoustic amp users. I lived in Socal then concerts were loud. Beamy too. Many of those Acoustic and Kustom heads still work. Both companies used good speakers too.
Old 4th August 2013, 06:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Alnico View Post
I saw(heard) Jaco play with a folded horn Acoustic cab ,and yes it sounded good, but it still had that lack of distinction that folded horn cabs have when used alone. He was somthing else!
Yeah I don't know how Jaco sounded so good thru those Acoustic amps. Later I saw him thru dual 8X10 bottoms; much better. Shame he died so young.

Hide this!Advertise here!