Need pinions on a fullish-range bass guitar speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2010, 01:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need pinions on a fullish-range bass guitar speaker

howdy, I've been thinking about building a 1x12 bass cab built with an eminence beta 12lta whizzer cone speaker. seems like a rad speaker for bass guitar- a touch more high end than is typical of a cab w/no tweeteer, but without an annoying tweeter. i'm going to pair it with an ampeg svt15 and power it with a GK400. what i was curious about is whether anyone has had experience with this speaker in this application, or a similar one, i.e. loud sound reinforcement. if so, how does it sound? how does it handle high volume?
Old 24th July 2010, 02:49 AM   #2
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Beta 12LTA IIRC has a voice-coil overhang of 0.080" and xmax rating of around 3.5mm. Since I had one already in a Karlson 12 (with polyfill in the rear chamber to reduce qtc) I pulled out an amp and grabbed the nearest bass - it sounds pretty darn good - not a lot of lows - k12 has a tiny back chamber of around 1.3 cubic feet but the Karlson adds some kick and keeps the cone under better control imo than reflex.

tone overall = good highs, mellow midbass - I'd be concerned with frying the coil at high input levels - it does sound pretty good for 1-12
(forgive the mess - I'm ill and can't do much)
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th July 2010, 05:12 AM   #3
awedio is offline awedio  United States
diyAudio Member

WHOA!!! Peavey AlphaBass??? Travis Bean-style Kramer!?!?!

You are my hero. I have an AlphaBass, celebrating our 20th anniversary next year... I love it (modded, natch). And I have long lusted after an aluminum-neck Kramer. I hope you feel better soon. Mess? What mess?

Chat, I can't speak from experience, but you could also look at a 2x10 using the Legend B102 http://eminence.com/pdf/legend-b102.pdf as it's tailored for bass but will still satisfy your whizzer fetish. You may get more bottom end and power handling with the 2x10 too...
Old 24th July 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Eminence

Legend B102, BassLite CA2010(alu), both wide range
not so wide range, but DeltaPro 12A looks very strong

Beyma 12GA50 is pure fullrange
High quality with short rings
But high 1.16 Qts means only suited fore "open back"
Very high sensitivity makes it tempting

I suppose it could work in paralel with a woofer like DeltaPro12A, straight with no filter, but uncertain

man, I once had a Karlson enclosure exactly like the above, but unfortunately "lost" it along the way
Old 24th July 2010, 05:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

could use a stronger 12 + a tweeter (I wouldn't want highs to 17K on a bass guitar) a Transylvania Power Company "The Tube" can be roughly approximated with a 5.3" long piece of 1" pvc with a half ellipse slot and 1/8" starting gap
Old 24th July 2010, 06:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Beyma 12GA50 is pure fullrange
High quality with short rings
But high 1.16 Qts means only suited fore "open back"
Very high sensitivity makes it tempting
Was going to make the same suggestion. If you can work out a small hornloaded design for this unit, you'd have a killer cab imo
Ps Beyma's specsheet recommends a 20 to 70 L enclosure for it.

But reaching the lowest octave is not a thing these whizzer cone woofer excell at, so if it's the way to go for a bass cab..?

Last edited by voltcontrol; 24th July 2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 24th July 2010, 07:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

wow. awesome. thanks for all the advice and stuff i have no idea what you're talking about. and pics, even. i guess having a whizzer cone fetish is as good as any, plus i get to poke around geeky audio forums.... a couple legends would be great except i think they only come 8ohm? i'll be mostly using this on top of an svt15, so i need to keep the total load on the new cab down to 8. and one 10" is too much whimpyness. maybe. that beyma sounds perfect, nice that it's higher freq response, but money-wise will be hard to get past the girlfriend test. something to save up for maybe, if this whole thing works out.
basically i'm looking for something with a bit more high end (but no tweeter/crossover, since i play distorted much of the time, and they're just kinda annoying on bass) than you normally get with bass drivers, like around 8k or so, that could hold it's own with my svt15. it'll only be seeing half of my gk400's 200w of ouput.
definitely stoked to get this project underway, and happy to have found this resource of knowledge
Old 24th July 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

here's the on-axis response of an early B102 vs Beta 12LTA when each were in the old (~1952) Electrovoice "Aristocrat" enclosure outdoors (wish I had overlaid off axis) Although 12LTA is too dull by itself for fullrange music listening, its pretty bright on fingernail/pick sounds for bass guitar. I wish Eminence had given it another pound of motor and edgewound coil
Old 24th July 2010, 04:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If there's sufficient interest, I expect they'd do a custom batch...
"If you underspecify some resistors they can add extra phlogiston to the music mix. This gives a much more dramatic effect than refulgence, however superb it may be. Phlogiston can move a listener in a way that ordinary music cannot." - DF96
Old 24th July 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I believe one would have to have or make an account, agree to buy a minimum of 50 units, then have a prototype or two built.. Ten years ago DJK made a proposal to improve the unit for hifi use. (while dreaming, perhaps Eminence's hemp-cone would fit?) High Efficiency Speaker Asylum: A modest proposal by djk

Hide this!Advertise here!