12GT5-guitar amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Small, (~30W) and not expensive amplifier, but with "brand name" tubes. (12GT5-RCA)

Attachments

• 023a.jpg
    023a.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 022a.jpg
    022a.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 009a.jpg
    009a.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 217
davorin
Hi I see that you are getting away from the more conventional choices for guitar amp tubes, fun experiment! Have you tried using the effects send yet?
I wonder if coming off of the tone stack, and right out to the effects send is going to work well. Conventional wisdom usally says put a buffer just befor the send out. On the other hand it may work just fine. I dont want to rain on your parade, just an observation. Also is that a re-cycled chassis?

Yes, chassis is from some HF-selector (HI!). I am not satisfied with quality of current tube production, conventional audio NOS tubes are very expensive, so I use non-conventional cheep tubes from the end of tubes evolution for my projects.
Maximum total distortion of this amplifier at is almost enough for punk or heavy-metal, and some pedal-effects works good at input (all I try). Line(effect) in/out work good with tube-reverb(diy), but I did not try any other effect here(in this amp.).
Maximum power is ~40W (very loud with only 320V-DC!), but clean power is ~30W.
This tubes (total cost ~16$) will work good next 5-10 years (maybe much more!), and current production of tubes cant work good 2-3 year!
HV-BIAS transformer is from old Sharp-B&W TV, heater transformer is for halogen 12V-light, CAN-elko is new, but cheep (for old TV-repair!) and 2x560uF are also new and cheep (for repair computer PS).
All other parts are new, but total cost is only ~80$ for very good guitar amplifier.
Many other cheep TV-sweep tubes can work here, maybe all with Pa>18. (with small modification: socket, anode cap, heater voltage and small bias correction)(Pa~18W is very conservative ratings; only for CCS as deflection tube! All that tubes can work with Pa22-25W in push-pull audio amplifier!).
Input, drive and PS tubes are cheep Russian military "Long-Life, SQ", but conventional 12AX7/ECC83 will work fine as input tubes, and 12AT7/ECC81 or 6AQ7/ECC85 for driver and PS (and 12AV7, 5965 or E180CC too!).
I was experimenting with very expensive "Müllard", "Brimar" and "Philips" small tubes, but sound was not much better with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.