ADSR schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 07:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ADSR schematic

Hi Everyone,

I've built a musical instrument that works OK but could do with an ADSR envelope module to shape the output of the rhythm pulses as they don't seem to have enough punch.

I have found some circuits for synthesizers but they run off +/-18 volts and this is far too much for my instrument since it is portable and isn't connected to a wall socket. My electronics run off a 9 volt battery and the components are chosen to keep consumation down to a minimum.

Does anyone know of a simple ADSR design running off of 9V (or less) that could be used for my project? Any suggestions greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

Vielle568
Old 24th April 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Ka-ching!

Click the image to open in full size.

Original topic, go about halfway down: electro-music.com :: View topic - What are all the ADSR's out there to build?

Hope that helps
Old 25th April 2010, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Test Electrix,

Thanks for all the the ADSR schematics you sent me. I'll try breadboarding the circuit and see what I come up with. The only minor problem I see with the schematic is that it requires +/- 9V and all my stuff is running off of a single 9V supply with one of the op amp lines biased at 4,5V. I can probably do the same thing and see what happens. I'll also change the IC for a TL064 since it draws far less power.

The output signal will then be used to control a VCA that will shape the audio signals (or at least that's what I hope will happen). I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'll let you know how I get on...

Thank's again for your help.

vielle568
Old 30th April 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is another type based on cmos switches and a 555.

you can find it here along with some other cool stuff. i have built the diode ladder filter and the moog filter and they are great.

Synth DIY

you would probably have to change the transistor resistors to a lower value so the +15v would work at +9 v
and you can use your own 9v output opamps or whatever instead of those bipolar ones.

Last edited by neutron7; 30th April 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Neutron7,

That's a nice site and the schematic looks good too. You're probably right, if I change the resistor values for the transistors the circuit can be brought down to 9V. I can get away with one op amp and a TL061 will use less current. There are certain superfluous details of the circuit that I can omit all together and what's left is pretty straightforward.

Thanks for your help. I'm currently waiting for some components in the mail but soon I'll be back on track making the modifications to my instrument.

Vielle568
Old 24th August 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
efabric is offline efabric  France
diyAudio Member

does it work now ?

Your firs schematic is quite similar to this one :http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159/adsr2.png

Hide this!Advertise here!