Line to instrument level converter :Re-Amp circuit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 07:29 PM   #1
0vid is offline 0vid  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
Default Line to instrument level converter :Re-Amp circuit?

Has anyone got a schematic for a line level to instrument impedance converter, like the re-amp?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 04:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Derbyshire
Line level should plug straight in an instrument amp, what problem are you having?.

The re-amp is just a DI transformer used backwards, with an attenuator on the input, and a volume control on the output.
__________________
Nigel Goodwin
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 08:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
gain wire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NCR
Depending on what type of equipment you're plugging into this instrument-level amplifier, you are likely to get a distorted signal. Line level input is NOT like instrument level.Both might have similar input impedances (but not likely) but one is designed for signals under 1 volt (typically 200mV) and the other is designed for signals over one volt (typically 1,4V RMS).

what are you trying to do?
__________________
Trans-directional-servo-logamp non-zerocrossing autogain compressing thingamajig
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 11:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gain-wire View Post
Depending on what type of equipment you're plugging into this instrument-level amplifier, you are likely to get a distorted signal. Line level input is NOT like instrument level.Both might have similar input impedances (but not likely) but one is designed for signals under 1 volt (typically 200mV) and the other is designed for signals over one volt (typically 1,4V RMS).
Those differences are miniscule, and don't make any difference, particularly as instrument inputs have enough gain for far lower input levels.

Impedances don't matter either, as you're feeding a lowish impedance line source in to a high impedance instrument input (you don't use impedance matching, that's the worst possible scenario for almost all occasions).

Quote:

what are you trying to do?
Always nice to know
__________________
Nigel Goodwin
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
gain wire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NCR
Although I trust you I have difficulty accepting the facts. And what I know is this (I've tried it before) : if you take any headphone output audio device (walkman, dscplayer, mp3 player) and plug it into an instrument level amplifier, you will, eventually, distort the signal. Is this due to the higher output voltage these devices put out? I'd say yes. Maybe not so much, the output impedance (which is orders of magnitude lower, around 16 to 32 ohms, I've read) but I know what I've seen and heard.
__________________
Trans-directional-servo-logamp non-zerocrossing autogain compressing thingamajig
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 08:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gain-wire View Post
Although I trust you I have difficulty accepting the facts. And what I know is this (I've tried it before) : if you take any headphone output audio device (walkman, dscplayer, mp3 player) and plug it into an instrument level amplifier, you will, eventually, distort the signal. Is this due to the higher output voltage these devices put out? I'd say yes. Maybe not so much, the output impedance (which is orders of magnitude lower, around 16 to 32 ohms, I've read) but I know what I've seen and heard.
Headphone outputs aren't line level, they are headphone level - which is usually considerably higher.
__________________
Nigel Goodwin
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Either line out or headphone outputs are going to have impedances below maybe 200 ohms. If for some reason you wanted to increase that impedance a series resistor would probably work. Far as the level goes, what makes it into the first stage depends on whether it has an attenuator or a gain control, or both. If all you have is gain control it may be easy to overdrive the grid circuit (usual tube job insturment amp), unless you make an attenuator, which could easily be just an L pad. If it has an attenuator, or volume control, your L pad is already there. Just keep it turned down so the first stage isn't overdriven, unless you want that.

Last edited by Andrew Eckhardt; 1st May 2010 at 09:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:02 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
Either line out or headphone outputs are going to have impedances below maybe 200 ohms. If for some reason you wanted to increase that impedance a series resistor would probably work.
But why would you want to?.

Adding a LARGE series resistor will make an attenuator with the input impedance of the stage, but is increasing the chances of hum and noise for no advantage at all.

If you DO need to attenuate it, then use a lowish imedance L pad, which will maintain low hum and noise levels.

However, the output from a loudly played passive guitar is going to be well above line levels anyway, so line levels aren't a problem.
__________________
Nigel Goodwin
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever DIY a SNI-35 line level converter? JZatopa Car Audio 6 13th June 2008 06:26 AM
diy speaker to line level converter zobsky Parts 1 24th September 2006 06:31 AM
Line level signal delay circuit wigginjs Solid State 3 26th September 2004 03:51 PM
Line level signal delay circuit wigginjs Parts 2 24th September 2004 12:36 PM
line level converter b<ben>n Chip Amps 1 2nd March 2004 03:03 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2