Post your Musical Instruments here. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Post your Musical Instruments here.

Well, every other section has something similar, so - let's post pics of our instruments!

At the moment, I play a Squier Strat, neck pickup, tone controls set to 4. The pedal is a boss ME-20, the amp is very very old, made by Intermusic (anyone heard of them?). In the future, I'd like a 1x12" combo, with a 1x12" extension cab, preferably Marshall for both.

So, what do you guys play?
Chris

Edit: I use a 3.00 mm pick, because using a thin one means you never learn things exactly right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 164618.jpg (248.2 KB, 1030 views)
Old 9th April 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is my DIY Oversized 2x12 cabinet. 3/4" fur, all dado construction, polyeurathane glue, closed bottom, open top, finished in box-liner spray. Testing with a little Altec Lansing subwoofer for a speaker. The holes are recessed for Celestions.

And here is my Gibson BFG Les Paul. I facking love this guitar, love at first site, feels tight, love the "chisel marks", nice sound, loud even unplugged and because it's a barely finished guitar it appeals to the ADD carpenter in me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01010.JPG (90.0 KB, 1031 views)
Old 9th April 2010, 04:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sorry heres the Les Paul. I guess you have to click on it, not sure why. It's really small too, I just copied it from my facebook page, guess I didn't need to resize it any more.
Oh well, beats using PhotoBucket.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp BFG.bmp (50.8 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by TechnoBeaver; 9th April 2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What's with all the guitars? Doesn't anyone play anything else any more?

I own 23 instruments and only one is a guitar. Six saxes, several clarinets, a grand piano, a double bass, set of drums, trombone, two cornets, trumpet, bass clarinet, chromatic harmonica, flute, more....
Old 9th April 2010, 09:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here's my home made tube bass preamp, on top of a home made 1x15 and a 2x10:
Click the image to open in full size.

And inside a rack on top of the same 2x10 but also a 2x6,5" (using autosound kickbass speakers):

Two Vigier basses:

And a Stanley Clarke-ish 5 string I'm building (will take ages to complete).

I've also built a Ashbory bass in the shape of a Rickenbacker bass, assembled a Precision bass, and am building another bass (6string headless fretless semiacoustic).
Here's the Ashbory:

Oh yeah, and some stompboxes, fuzzes, big muffs, an Ampeg Scrambler, busy doing a Seek Wah workalike, a Phase 100, a tremolo. Lots of stuff!
Old 11th April 2010, 09:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

TechnoBeaver - that's a nice looking cab, and I really wish I had an amp like that one. How does the little sub sound? The photo of the guitar isn't showing too well - perhaps you have a better one? Still, from what I can make out, it looks pretty good.

Bob - perhaps you'd like to show us some of those instruments - I know I'd be interested to see some, as I expect you'll have some I've never heard of.

Jarno - you have some very nice basses there, and I'm particularly jealous of those speakers. Like the amp - clean and simple.

I'm sure there's more of us on here with an instrument - come on, guys - get 'em posted.
Chris
Old 11th April 2010, 10:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

I would recommend everybody to build their own cabinets, there's really not that math involved, especially for guitar cabinets. Also, the amount of woodworking skills needed is pretty low. Carpeting is also pretty easy.

From a financial standpoint, low driver counts are more interesting, because commercial firms get discounts on drivers we do not. A commercial 1x12 cabinet is much more expensive than a home made one. But if you want to make an 8x10 the difference between commercial and DIY is much smaller.

The cable in the second picture is nice as well, I used to work at a firm designing MRI scanners, and I got a piece of that cable from the bin and soldered neutrik jacks to it, it's a pretty expensive silver conductor RF cable. It sounds great, but unfortunately, it's stiff as a board, minimum bend radius is something like 30 centimeters.

Last edited by Jarno; 11th April 2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11th April 2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here"s a Crappy Picture of my 100w DIY Guitar head ....

Old 11th April 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here is me with my silly electronic piano and a home made amplifier for it. More pics to follow. My singer, Gigi is there too, prettier than I am for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_2257.JPG (299.5 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Amplifier.jpg (206.4 KB, 284 views)
Old 12th April 2010, 07:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
Here"s a Crappy Picture of my 100w DIY Guitar head ....

Wow! I want one of those!

Bob - that amplifier looks nice and professional. Is it a single wide range driver, or do I see a compression driver in there somewhere?

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!