Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 12:44 AM   #141
Banned

learned something new today don't over-tighten the plastic back plates for input jacks/extension jacks on them Carvin 4x12 front loaded cabs cranked up the bass cracked split the corners of that plate I guess haha
Old 31st December 2012, 12:45 AM   #142
Banned

or the actual physical flexing of the wood split the **** out of it on both sides lol
Old 31st December 2012, 12:49 AM   #143
Banned

and you know now that I think of it when I had it cranked up 1 day I though I heard some cracking and splitting sounds but I thought it was some weird cone cry from crap speakers or something haha
Old 31st December 2012, 03:25 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Default phantom powered op amps

That's my point! If you spec out the LME 79724 you'll see it's capable of great voltage swings (headroom), very low noise and can run from single source supplies. Ohm's law trades voltage for current so I figure 48v down to say 24v would yield 12v plus/minus at twice the current of the original 48v. Am I right?? So how is it no one has tried phantom powering a balanced line preamp with a modest gain product of say, 100? A shoeps approach would be mostly passive, and won't allow for blending in a charge amp to drive a high-z piezo under saddle pickup. I'm hoping to build a built-in preamp circuit that provides balanced low-z outs, blends two input high-z sources, and doesn't require a current eating dc to dc converter to feed the op amp (or amps). Tell me it isn't possible? I know it can be done, I just want to get it right.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:30 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I wanted to make my own guitar and throw everything I know about guitars into it. It plays nice, and stands out from the rest. If you ever get the chance, there's nothing like building your own.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:45 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

hey Bob, according to all the circuits for electrets (and I've looked at many-including the 'linkwitz mods') they all require a dc current source to drive the FET front-end that's also in the little mic capsule. True, the electret condenser is basically a charged wafer capacitor, but the AC collected on the back is amplified by the built-in FET which needs curent. Question #2- a 'boundary microphone' is a term given to a class of small condenser microphones that lay down on a boundary (flat surface) where the sound waves are picked up close to the surface which boosts the effective free-air impedance of the soundwaves by as much as 3db (also called half-space sound doubling). It was the closest any one could get to making a PZM (pressure zone microphone) which is directed about 20 thousanths above a boundary (flat plane) in the 'pressure zone' region that exists at the surface of all planes, without violating the patent protection on this class of microphone. Google PZM microphones and Boundary microphones. In summary, you get a soundwave boost without a lot of distortion.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:56 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

hey Benb,
Thanks for answering. I thought this forum was made for those hobbyists who like to challenge themselves. Most DIYers that I know are into modding equipment because they see an opportunity to exploit a circuit because they can make it better. I could certainly use some help with this circuit idea (read original post), since I can't find anything on the internet to help me. If you can, I surely appreciate it. Are you a musician? Here's a better picture of my guitar prototype.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guitar full email.jpg (278.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 6th January 2013, 05:31 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

How does one start a new thread?
Old 6th January 2013, 10:48 AM   #149
Banned

Another question why do some guys like to wire a 4x12 cab "out of phase" so the speakers are sucking in etc when I got my carvin 4x12 it was wired like that leads were crossed and I always thought it sounded really weird lol so I would swap back in forth sometimes lol whats the point though? I think it sounds better in phase more bass/depth other way its like having a blanket on a cab but the mids had a different character so I don't know just for a different sound?
Old 6th January 2013, 11:23 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGuitarGuy View Post
Another question why do some guys like to wire a 4x12 cab "out of phase" so the speakers are sucking in etc when I got my carvin 4x12 it was wired like that leads were crossed and I always thought it sounded really weird lol so I would swap back in forth sometimes lol whats the point though? I think it sounds better in phase more bass/depth other way its like having a blanket on a cab but the mids had a different character so I don't know just for a different sound?
Different sound.

At a distance, it'd sound like a big stereo source.

For more bass, put a capacitor in series with one side. That'll stop them cancelling so much. I'll draw up a circuit diagram if you like.

Hide this!Advertise here!