Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2012, 09:42 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

bought this tele copy, it had quite a few ding's in it so i re-finished it in my favorite colour, sea foam aqua,

Click the image to open in full size.

crate look-a-like amp i made from reclaimed fence panel's and a peavey transtube amp and a 12" speaker out of a church organ,,

Old 26th October 2012, 10:48 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

tanglewood TBS500 resonator i bought, did'nt really like the sound of it so i converted it to a twin humbucker semi-hollow,

tele body i made out of an old school bench top, neck is a tele copy i bought, it was a bit heavy, so i lightened it up a bit,

Old 6th December 2012, 04:09 PM   #133
muzzer is offline muzzer  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default My current setup

Well, by way of an introduction I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my current bass setup.

Here's my regular bass

It's a custom made 5 string Fender Jazz clone with a licensed Mighty Mite neck, ash body with flame maple top, Schaller 3D bridge, Nordstrand pickups, Audere 3Z preamp.
It's heavy (12lbs), but I don't mind for the sound ;-)

This is my current cab

It's a Schroeder 1210R that I bought cheap and refurbished, I've turned it into an active cab by adding a Hypex UcD400 Class D power amp and SMPS400 switch mode PSU. I usually drive this with a Line6 Bass Pod Pro, but I'm looking for an Ampeg SVT-Pro valve preamp to replace this.

Another project on the go is a Fearful 12SUB to go under the Schroeder for LOUD gigs :-) This will also be powered by another Hypex UcD400 amp.
I'll post another pic when it's finished.
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:36 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Vintage 40's or 50's projector amp (2 6v6) and two jensen p12's flanked by 2 repurposed 4x10 speaker columns, and a 1991 sr800 p/j. there's a genz benz shuttle 3.0 head in there too.

Old 23rd December 2012, 12:47 PM   #135
Banned

Now that is really cool man lol
Old 30th December 2012, 08:20 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Okay, here's some pics of my latest prototype acoustic guitar. One interesting feature is the built-in boundary mic on the bridge. It is intended to represent the 'golden age' of acoustic instruments, hence the olde timey look. It is carbon fiber reinforced in the neck and tone rings, with a tailpiece that takes the tension of the strings, but also couples the strings to the bridge (my own innovation). No one that I know of utilizes this system, or the built-in boundary mic on the top - not inside the body.
I am currently building a circuit utilizing a 'linkwitz modded' ectectret that I want to power with phantom power only. I would like to explore a shoeps style (balanced in & outs) and also couple an undersaddle piezo through a charge amp circuit using op amps. I happen to have an LME 49724 balanced line buffer for the final stage. Any ideas? I would like to try splitting the 48v to run both the op amps and the electret, with no onboard battery. This is a challenge, since I haven't found any circuits that fulfill these requirements. Thank you in advance. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Closeup of mic bridge.jpg (410.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Guitar email.jpg (159.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Guitar soundhole grille email.jpg (927.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Guitar condenser mic placement email.jpg (142.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Guitar tailblock XLR connector email.jpg (801.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 30th December 2012, 08:31 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinkite View Post
Okay, here's some pics of my latest prototype acoustic guitar. One interesting feature is the built-in boundary mic on the bridge. It is intended to represent the 'golden age' of acoustic instruments, hence the olde timey look. It is carbon fiber reinforced in the neck and tone rings, with a tailpiece that takes the tension of the strings, but also couples the strings to the bridge (my own innovation). No one that I know of utilizes this system, or the built-in boundary mic on the top - not inside the body....
very interesting it looks fantastic
Old 30th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

You don't need phantom power for an electret. That's what electret means, having its own permanent charge.

What's a boundary microphone?
Old 30th December 2012, 10:23 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

bought a Hughes & Kettner "Edition Blue 15" cheap at a cash converters a couple of weeks ago, nice sounding amp but only had a cheap 8" driver, fortunately the baffle came off easily, only 4 screws. made a new baffle with a 12" speaker I had lying around....that's better....

Garage Hermit, - love that holey Tele...
bob91343, electrets require an impedance converting preamp...
Old 30th December 2012, 11:06 PM   #140
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

marvinkite, there are many simple and good transistor circuits to power electret mic elements with phantom power, but running an opamp off phantom power may be pushing the limits, and would definitely be unconventional.

You should a new thread with this question.

Hide this!Advertise here!