Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2010, 04:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to utterdisaster
Default 60hz hum,accoustic guitar,piezo pickup,duet>logic pro

I want to record accoustic guitar w/fishman pu. I use adobe duet to interface to Apple's Logic Pro. No problem when I plug in Strat,(wound pu), but with the fishman I get hideous 60hz hum. I know about z mismatch but that usually only effects signal levels and a DI box would fix that. Would a DI with grnd lift eliminate the hum? And would passive work or would I need active?
Old 18th March 2010, 02:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is that strat a single coil pickup? Or does it have Humbuckers? Anything with a wound coil (including a microphone) will result in the Hum. Hence the purpose of the Humbucker. It "bucks' the hum.
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to utterdisaster
The strat is single coil but it works fine (no hum) in the signal path I described. The hum appears when I plug in an accoustic guitar with a fishman "under saddle" thinline 332 transducer pickup (piezo). For everyones information my mac is laptop & I discovered that if I run it on battery power the hum is almost nil (gone), so that's what I'll do. You are s__t out of luck if running a desktop on ac power.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:14 PM   #4
simon74 is offline simon74  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi their ,for acoustics i go to an amp then straight to soundcard ,on pc.
or i have a 2 way mixer unit i have that connected to my souncard ,
and run the acoustic into the mic socket of that ,either way i dont get any hum.
i have an acousic with an under the bridge peizo pickup .
also i make the 3 strings with stick in pickups an they seem fine also .
so personally i would try put somthing inbetween even if a practice amp.
oh and i use head phones to listen to play no speeker output,as i think this would cause little feedback etc .good luck

Hide this!Advertise here!