system for guitar amp modeler

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a guitar amp modeler (line 6) that I enjoy using. It has line level outputs. I use it through the board when I play out with it and it works well for me. I am interested in building a small (30 watts) system to use at home. I could just buy a small PA to use but I enjoy making things and would like to build it. I have built a tube amp and many stompboxes so I think I can get a handle on building this project. I am looking for opinions and advice about the direction I chould take. Tubes or solid state since I have no real opinions at this time. If you have suggestions for circuits to look at for the amplifier portion I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks
SLW

Well, a LM3886 or LM4780 based power amp is easy enough to make (low parts count), and provides plenty of (stereo) power. It could be that simple.
Valves are nice as well of course, you being in the US, you could try to find an old Fender head and refurbish that, or any old tube amp.

Any Power amp Chip will work fine so just pick the wattage you need and the chip that will deliver it and build away ......

I play My Guitar through a Tube preamp into an EQ and into a 100w TDA7293 and it kicks *** .....

I also Tried Playing my Guitar through a Line 6 Pod XT Pro into the TDA7293 and it sounded like Crap , but that it because the Pod XT Pro was crap , Never gona try Modelers (accept maybe Analogue modelers) again but I guess some poeple like them .....

Cheers

Check out the :
LM3886
LM3875
TDA7293/7294
TDA2030/2040/2050
LM1875

The datasheests will tell you how to use them some even have PCB designs .....

Last edited:
I am going to check out the chip amp thing. I have looked up the 3875 now and it looks like fun. I like my modeler running into the board. I do not like it running into the front end of a guitar amp. I can tell a difference between the modeler and a real tube amp if I am playing alone. In a band setting I can't really notice any difference. For analog modelers the SansAmp stuff from Tech21 is good. I have tried one and it was good.

Anybody have advice about a nice tube amp(not a guitar amp)?

SLW

I am going to check out the chip amp thing. I have looked up the 3875 now and it looks like fun. I like my modeler running into the board. I do not like it running into the front end of a guitar amp. I can tell a difference between the modeler and a real tube amp if I am playing alone. In a band setting I can't really notice any difference. For analog modelers the SansAmp stuff from Tech21 is good. I have tried one and it was good.

Anybody have advice about a nice tube amp(not a guitar amp)?

SLW

You are right. A guiar amp modeler needs to drive something that is as clean as a PA system. Basically what you want is a Mono HiFi.

What kind of tube amp would yo want. You mean a tube amp in place of the suggested chip amp? The first question is how much power? Then I'd select an output transformer

Yes I would have a tube amp in place of a chip amp. I was thinking 30W of power would give me enough clean headroom for use at home. I have selected output transformers for guitar amps. Never selected OT for hifi applications. I guess you pick the impedances to match the tubes and speakers you want to use. After that I am not so sure?

SLW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.