tone stack switchable inductor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2010, 11:56 PM   #1
hewo is offline hewo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default tone stack switchable inductor

on this 1994 vintage club 2110R, the slope resistor is 68k.
it later was changed by slm to 33k, along with a few other components to darken the saucy british accent.
anyway, the panel switch cuts in a 682 resistor paralleled with a 103 cap essentially lifting the stack's dump off from direct ground. this pair nauseates the tone, sort of voicing the typical ampeg grunge.
that grunge was actually desired by rock players and uniquely differed from the marshal.
i replaced that 103 cap with a coil taken out of a very old quartz driven travel alarm clock (seiko japanese stuff). it measured 492 ohms and includes a laminate core used to finger a rotor pinion gear in the transmission.
the result was terrific. the 682 resistor bleeds out full spectrum but the seiko coil competes, with less impedance, for dumping bass.

now my question is this: in quest for variability inductance for this application, instead of a turrent selector to engage a variety of discrete inductor(s), can one be fabricated or does a single inductor exists that is variable just like a pot is for resistance?
Old 29th March 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
tobinns is offline tobinns  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you ever get anywhere with this idea. I'm working on a project amp based on a Marshall jtm45. I want to put a variable choke in the power supply
Old 29th March 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Try a variac.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!