Guitar Cabinet wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm not sure this can be done but came here for the answer. I want to build a 2 x12 cabinet. The feed to the cabinet would be 8ohm from my guitar amps ext. speaker out.

At times I would like to run one speaker only as I have a lower powered amp 10 watts. Other times it would be both speakers running. I'm not sure I can make this happen due to ohms and wiring issues. I would accept it if I need a switch on the back.

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Bboy

yes more info is needed to answer.

But why do you only want to drive just one of th two speakers? There's no advantage unless you low power amp can only drive 8ohms while you high power amp needs 4ohms.

In this case a switch can parallel in the second speaker but you'll need to check the switch setting every time! Major PITA and likely to cause problems.

Simple is best:)

I think there isn"t much you can do .... if your amp ran at 4 ohms you could run one speaker at 8 ohms for half the power and Paralell to 4 ohms for full power ....

I guess you can run one speaker at 8ohms for full power and Series 2 speakers for half the power ....

Most guitar amps and speakers are pretty robust and tolerate mild impedence mismatches well. Also, the amps are usually designed to tolerate being driven hard, so I wouldn't let the fact that you have a fairly low wattage output stop you from using 2 speakers together. The most elegant and highest output solution is to get two 16 ohm speakers and connect them in parallel to provide a total load of 8 ohms. If you already have an 8 ohm speaker you were planning to use then you'd probably get the most output just using the one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.