Guitar amp schematic for PPP EL84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Can someone suggest a good schematic for blues and rock. My friend and I have stripped his old Miazzi which he says never worked properly . We have salvaged the transformers and 4 X ECC83, 4 X EL84 and 2 X EZ81.

He wants to be able to overdrive the amp into distortion but have a volume pot later to control the final output. Would also like to stay with PPP EL84 and requires tone control for bass, mids and tops.

Regards
Charles

How much distortion does this design offer?

I'm looking for a design that will create 'Pantera' like distortion.

Maybe a pre-amp to use as a headphone amp to begin with.

I have various 12... tubes. a nice matched quad 12AX7 is just waiting to be plugged in:D

any suggestions?

Pantera's guitarist (the late Dimebag Darrell) used solid state amps made by Randall (I think it was a 'Warhead') and a Dean Razorback to play through it. He also had his own custom humbuckers,the Dimebucker (my mate had one in his guitar and it gives a solid slab of shunt, no definition whatsoever - just hi-gain ceramic shunt!).
The Marshall Mode 4 is the only other solid state I know of with any kind of prominence (and I don't know of anyone that uses one).
The best way to approximate his tone would be just use transistors and diodes in the pre-amp and MAYBE MOS-Fets in the poweramp.

On the original topic the Miazzi looks like it could be re-worked in to a higher gain Vox AC30...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.