Class D kits for bass guitar amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UcD

hi mike
i'm a german bassplayer, who wanted to build a good, loud and cheap power amp for my cabinets.
i took a 300w toroid (used25$) a psu with 40.000 f condensers and philips rectifier ultrafast diodes (50$) and a ucd 400 modul (app. 170$) .
it took 3 hours to put it all together and i must say i'm very satisfied :
loud and clear, no hum, no noise, no heat , very reliable and so very recommandable !
my setup:
a hughes&kettner tube preamp, a cabinet with a 15" ev and a cabinet same size with 4 X 8" eminence incl the build-in ucd-amp.
fender precision, r&b.
so try this out and you'll be happy, i'm shure !
best regards from germany

bubuchef

Are there any good diy class d kits that would work as a power amp for a bass guitar amplifier?

I need at least 300 clean watts into an 8 ohm load.
You can take a look at our Class D amplifiers at Class D Audio Home page We manufacture some of the best sounding amps on the market today, and at a great price. We've had several customers make guitar, bass, and other amps from our class d amp modules with great success. You can also read reviews and testimonials on our website.

Oh! yes ,I have made one module 400W/8OHM RMS,here some pictures for it,Switch power supply and class d amp all in one,excellent Specification ,70Usd/pcs. please connect me by mail:authlxl@163.com

Attachments

• DSCF0102640480.JPG
    DSCF0102640480.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSCF0103640480.JPG
    DSCF0103640480.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,362
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
This one from classdaudio does look good fore bassguitar
1. High power
2. Easy to bridge and 2ohm stable makes it good to bridge
3. Simple supply needed
4. Optional RCA and balanced input
5. Heatsink mounted and optional output with 2speed fan control
And you can build it to also be used in your home setup
I consider to build my bass speakers so that they can be used at home as well
With digital dsp it might even be good
But becomes more expencive
But with the huge advantage of being able to plug a guitar directly into your "stereo":cool:

Attachments

• classdusa.jpg
    classdusa.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,308
Last edited:
Hi,all
maybe there is something really new .... unfortunately little bee who must finish the Frankfurt Book Fair to have it. for bass guitar I think is very appropriate, this includes an innovative, dynamic control of the signal in real time, or ALC, without it we could not exploit the full power with guitar bass.

Regards

Attachments

• DPA-600.jpg
    DPA-600.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,159
Such an "innovative dynamic signal control" does not usually belong ino the power amp ! Maybe except it is just active in case of severe clipping.
Dynamic control belongs before the power amp and there must be facilities to influence it by the user.

Me personally I don't like compression at all I use just a hint of limiting in order to not have to use huge peakt powers. But I very much dislike the artificial pseudo sustain gained by the heavy use of compression. A decent instrument, the right strings and playing technique gives also enugh sustaiiiiiiiiin.

Apart form that the module looks very interesting - especially for a beefy bass combo. Unfortunately no one can tell from the website whether it is obtainable at all and at what price.

Regards

Charles

Last edited:
and is that 600 watts at 8 ohms or 4? Agreed about compression. in a bass guitar amp that is up to the user to decide if they want any compression. however compression used for anti-clip control I can understand.

If that module is 600 watts at 8 ohms and will at least maintain 600 watts at 4 ohms im interested. I am curious if it will run 2 ohms? and can 2 modules be bridged?

I need to find a company that can supply these for a production run.

Hi,
I agree with you (bass guitar preamplifier, including in alc and band response)
but this module has been realized in combining two innovative products. PSU vey special and innovative Class D amplifier.
Amplifier: running up to Vcc rail completely sinusoidal (no glish, no IMD) for this reason it has been equipped with an inovative dynamic control, this control does not alter the signal, becouse it work only at (Vcc-5%), very fast attak (log amp)
PSU: this is really complicated to explain (RIPS Rotary Ignition System Power), imagine two 70V batteries that powered amplifier. practically equal. (only 2.7 V decrease under 40Hz burst) repetitive, without introducing imd on amplifier (zero) very clear power rock is the first emotion that stirs when it starts playing. :)
sure, mine are just words for now. I think that Frankfurt will open immediately after the sale online.
(probable agreements with big companies is the reason we are stuck)
quantities from the production are ready. (4 models) and 2 models of new PSU RIPS.

I put the version without the PSU.
P.S. Probable price to the public of the DPA-600 should be within the 296-320 € VE
this model is meant for aufiofile performances (sound and Measurements)

Regards

Attachments

• DXA-600.jpg
    DXA-600.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 640
and is that 600 watts at 8 ohms or 4? Agreed about compression. in a bass guitar amp that is up to the user to decide if they want any compression. however compression used for anti-clip control I can understand.

If that module is 600 watts at 8 ohms and will at least maintain 600 watts at 4 ohms im interested. I am curious if it will run 2 ohms? and can 2 modules be bridged?

I need to find a company that can supply these for a production run.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
dpa-600 module has been optimized to operate at 4-8R (600w RMS @ 4R).
I think you can take a 450w version (8R), for home high-fidelity use.
yes, bridge is supported by these modules but this not good for money and space. There is a model DPA-1200 (integrated amplifier) that delivers 1200w rms on 8R with very high resolution.

Regards

Guitar bass Amp

Hi all,
heard this amplifier with 2x15''woofer box ... you can not stay in front when he plays, out of breath....:eek:
Who says that he plays bass with the same power with digital, the sound of the MOSFET class AB is very different.
apart harmonic content, I think that the difference in depth at the low frequency is due to output current.:rolleyes:
What do you think about it?

Attachments

• MosAmp.jpg
    MosAmp.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 604
Hi all,
heard this amplifier with 2x15''woofer box ... you can not stay in front when he plays, out of breath....:eek:
Who says that he plays bass with the same power with digital, the sound of the MOSFET class AB is very different.
apart harmonic content, I think that the difference in depth at the low frequency is due to output current.:rolleyes:
What do you think about it?

Class D output stage alone has zero PSRR (power supply rejection ratio). And the smallest PSU sag will dramatically reduce the damping factor of class D amp, reducing the bass reproduction. To avoid this effect it is needed either to have good stabilized SMPS or to have a lot of NFB. I have seen many schematics of commercial class D amps, where usual 'linear' PSU together with simpliest NFB in amp schematic were used. This will definitely make the difference between class D and AB amps in bass reproduction, where the alone totem pole emitter follower output stage in class AB acts as a good stabilizer, referenced by input signal...

Do I get it right ? The DPA-600 is only the amp without any PSU ? Do yu assume 300 Euros is really competitive then ?

Regarding ripple: Another way to deal with that is ripple compensation. This has to be solved separately for carrier based amps but is already intrinsic to self-oscillating topologies.

Regards

Charles

Regarding ripple: Another way to deal with that is ripple compensation. This has to be solved separately for carrier based amps but is already intrinsic to self-oscillating topologies.

I understand what you meant, I have an working example of such 'ripple compensated' modulator. ;) With no any NFB and with insane 100Hz pulsations from PSU I do get a very clean output with such modulator. :) There are some OEM amps and chips with similar feature too: Rebix - Development of Analog Electronics and TAS5630 chip (which is using something called PSU 'feed forward' technique).

Also, in self oscillating UcD topology (I assume in other phase-controlled modulators too) the output ripple is not of triangle form, and 'intrinsic' ripple compensation is not so effective, though... :rolleyes:

Also, did you ever seen any commercial carrier based class D amps with 'ripple compensation' feature? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi,
To Phase_Accurate:
290-320 € probable price for the first photos I made (DPA-600) this is a very special amplifier with integrated PSU, developed specifically for listening top performances.

Regarding the self-oscillant UDC, this is good but Power Supply is soul amplifier. is useless for the amplifier tries to compensate for non-performance of the PSU.
Regards

ok, there is no psu switch for esoteric use of amplifier, then we must convince ourselves that the amplifier can corregir the PSU. now there a PSU for esoteric use. stabilized with 150ns response time, free IMD Vs. amplifier,no ripple (zero) at 600w (4R). excellent power factory. ultra compact,no big capacitors use. 2 years of development, custom trafo, development a complex asic for running this new architecture "RIPS".

not competitive? ...I think that is unique in the world at the moment:)

Hi,
I think this pic is clearer, has more info for this new amplifier.

Regards

Attachments

• DPA-600.jpg
    DPA-600.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 514
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.