Guitar tuner input microphone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2009, 04:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar tuner input microphone

Hey all,

Just wondering if the type of input microphone makes any difference in tuning an instrument?

As far as I understand, the only thing that will change between different microphones is the sensitivity at different frequencies. I can't see why a different microphone would make any difference in tuning only.

Please let me know if I'm completely off the mark and why
Old 1st November 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It wouldn't, acoustic tuners will almost certainly just use a cheap electret mike insert.
Old 1st November 2009, 09:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks thats what I thought.

The reason I asked is I recently bought a guitar tuner app (strobosoft) on my iphone and I'm pretty confident it would work just as well as the standalone store bought digital tuner (using an ADC of same resolution) which costs significantly more. If both devices are displaying frequencies based on an ADC the mic shouldnt make a diff in this context.

Frankly, either way, I'm extremely happy with the software but I just needed to clarify this prior to getting back on my high horse :P
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

An iphone app is cheaper than a basic digital tuner? Times they are a-changin'

What makes a cheap mic cheap is usually a poor response curve - it responds to some freqs more than others. But it doesn;t usually CHANGE the freqs it picks up, it just picks up some louder than others. The freq measuring circuit doesn;t care about that.

The old Conn strobe tuners all came with a desperately cheap crystal mic. Honestly it worked better than a "good" mic as it had a hotter output.
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Enzo, thats what I thought too. It;s just that after constant debates with muso's about such issues you (almost) begin to doubt yourself

I guess its a perceived quality thing. the standalone unit is around $500AUD and the app is $12AUD. Both use the same algorithm and display interface (I assume). The only bit i could see making a diff is the ADC to feed into whatever is driving the display.

Hide this!Advertise here!