pick up making - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2009, 05:11 PM   #11
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
yes HUMBUCKERS ARE wired in SERIES as jed says...but you could also wire 2 single coils together in parallel to make a humcanceller...cancels hum in the same wasy as humbuckers but also has a cleaner more single coil tone if thats what you like...also if theyre tapped and switched via a pull out pot you can change the configuration at will
My strat seems to be like this. If I am in a single pickup position I will usually get some interference. But they sound like they are wired out of phase from each other because on any position where you use 2 pickups the noise is cancelled out.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:06 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
My strat seems to be like this. If I am in a single pickup position I will usually get some interference. But they sound like they are wired out of phase from each other because on any position where you use 2 pickups the noise is cancelled out.
This is normal. The middle pickup is probably reversed both magnetically and electrically so you get hum cancelling when using the middle pickup with one of the other two.
Old 1st October 2009, 06:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is normal. The middle pickup is probably reversed both magnetically and electrically so you get hum cancelling when using the middle pickup with one of the other two.
Yes, that is actually the case. This is also done with some Fender basses for instance. If you use both pickups you have mum cancelling if you use one there is some hum. Marcus Miller once said in an interview that he always uses both when there should be silence (i.e. between songs).

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!