Never done this before: Guitar Amp! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2009, 10:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rongon
I prefer the Baxandall(sp?)-style Ampeg tone stack. Meatier, more mids. Smoother overall, but I'm a jazz player, so I would prefer that...

My favorite tone control trick is the tweed-era Fender "Presence" control in the feedback loop of the output stage. As a matter of fact, I was thinking that a simple Tone control (rolloff the highs) coupled with a Presence control would be all that is really needed.

Psssst..... try a parametric mid EQ I designed for CK Amps

http://www.ckamps.com/ToneGeeks/Tone....msg166#msg166
Old 6th August 2009, 01:53 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Of course, once you finish the amplifier, you can start immediately on the effects boxes. You can find designs at:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schematics.html

and there are others available with pre-etched circuit boards at:

http://www.tonepad.com/

I have a couple of old PA amplifiers that I am converting to guitar duty. I had to travel about 100 miles to get them which is how I came up with my screen name.
Old 6th August 2009, 02:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by Geek

Psssst..... try a parametric mid EQ I designed for CK Amps

http://www.ckamps.com/ToneGeeks/Tone....msg166#msg166
I like it, very creative!

Old 6th August 2009, 02:29 AM   #14
rongon is online now rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Me too!
Old 6th August 2009, 06:35 AM   #15
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments,

I am having fun building this. I hear the comments about MDF vs ply, but unfortunately, I have already completed most of the construction of the cabinet. I don't feel like re-building it at this stage, as progress is slow based on the every second weekend requirement to do it with my son. Perhaps an ooption might be to 'upgrade the cabinet' with him as a future project.

At this stage we have decided against a tolex covering, opting to go for a painted dark charcoal grey hamertone finish. Driver will be covered by a black metal mesh grille. Have mixed the colours of the chicken head knobs up for interest. Gain - blue, tone - red, presence - white, volume - black. Have some chromed corner protectors, so I hope we get a 'retro cool' look.

I am not sure if it is a 'Marshal' or a 'Fender' sound. I will paste the links below to the schematics I used.

I am guessing about two hours of wiring up will have it to the point where we can plug his guitar in to test.

AX84 lead preamp

AX84 20W PP poweramp
Old 6th August 2009, 10:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks on the EQ comments, guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish

At this stage we have decided against a tolex covering, opting to go for a painted dark charcoal grey hamertone finish. Driver will be covered by a black metal mesh grille. Have mixed the colours of the chicken head knobs up for interest. Gain - blue, tone - red, presence - white, volume - black. Have some chromed corner protectors, so I hope we get a 'retro cool' look.
That sounds great!

I hope you post pics.

Quote:
I am not sure if it is a 'Marshal' or a 'Fender' sound. I will paste the links below to the schematics I used.

I am guessing about two hours of wiring up will have it to the point where we can plug his guitar in to test.

AX84 lead preamp

AX84 20W PP poweramp
My guess is it'll sound Marshall... too much gain in the pre for a Fender sound.

Cheers!
Old 6th August 2009, 01:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

You mentioned a while ago that you were building this.

It looks great. Another fantastic job.

Where did you get the chassis?

Look forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck.

Rob
Old 6th August 2009, 02:49 PM   #18
rongon is online now rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, more Marshall than Fender. The 470pF cap and two .022uF caps in the tone stack will give a more Marshall-like slope to the filters. (Fender uses 250pF, .1uF and .047uF in those places.) The cathode-follower is also a Marshall feature, absent in the blackface Fender preamp.

It'll be cool, I know that!

--
Old 6th August 2009, 04:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I am not sure if it is a 'Marshal' or a 'Fender' sound.

This particular AX84 preamp has a lot of Marshall 'DNA'. The cascaded preamp stages, with a cathode follower driving the tonestack is similar to a "master-volume" Marshall amplifier. You can compare your circuit to typical Fender and Marshall schematics here:
http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...luxe_aa763.pdf
http://www.schematicheaven.com/marsh..._50w_2204u.pdf

An Australian discussion board you may find interesting for its local content:
http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php
There is an "In The Shed" area of the forum, where guitar amplifier builders can discuss their projects.
Old 7th August 2009, 01:21 AM   #20
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the interest!

Yes, definitely photos to follow with progress. The chassis is just a standard Hammond. I have primed it with an etch prime (straight from a spray can) and then coated with a burnished aluminium spray (from a can also). I labelled with decals, just like those model aeroplane kits you built as a kid . Decals were made from some decal paper that goes in to your laser printer. It works pretty well. After applying decals I gave a couple of coats of clear. Looks a little nicer than the raw aluminium and does not scratch as easy.

Cheers,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!