Custom Flying V - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Custom Flying V

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've been around and usually I hang out in the tube section , but I just finished building a guitar and it came out exceptionally well. So , have a look

Click the image to open in full size.

It was appraised by sight only at guitar center for around 2 grand but those that have played it would give a lot more. The pickups are GFS Dream 90 single coils. It whispers like SRV's number one for any blues guys out there, which is exactly what it was designed to play. I wanted a vintage Gibson look and they never did the V in a gold top , so it's the only one in the world, enjoy.
Old 7th July 2009, 02:05 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Holy mazoly!

Me wants!
Old 8th July 2009, 09:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Whoa! Very nice!
Old 14th July 2009, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not into goldtops much... But it sure looks nice. Bet it plays like a dream as well.
Old 14th July 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Workmanship looks excellent. Congratulations.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The headstock looks really nice as well. It's a bit more pointy than the regular Gibson one right? I really like that.

What pickups afre those btw?
Old 16th July 2009, 05:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

OH MY GOODNESS!

A goldtop Flying V? Why didn't Gibson think of that?

That is just beautiful, wicked and catchy altogether. I love it!

I think you'd have no problems at all selling those if you wanted to...

And P-94 pickups? The only time I've ever seem those is on Colin Macdonald's (the trews) Les Paul. And it sounds GOOD!

cheers
Old 18th July 2009, 10:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The V was built from '83 Korina V plans. Pickups are p-90's in a humbucker frame and the sound keeps getting better. Thanks for the compliments although I might get in big trouble if I tried to mass produce a Gibson design
Old 18th July 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Oh, P-90s? well, I guess you should know, you bought them. I just thought that because they reminded me of the P-94. Maybe I'm missing somehing here.

You know you might not get in trouble because you have a truly original design here. The only thing similar and that Gibson could lay on you is the overal shape, which is no doubt a perfect copy of the original '83 design, which I would guess is a replica of the '67 design. You have too many different things that Gibson did not put on their V, not even as an option, I should think:

- P90 pickups, for starters
-slightly diferent headstock shape, as another reader pointed out (it has the 58 shape, more pointy than the 67 shape right?)
-binding (I know last year's custom V had binding but no gold finish)
-24 frets (no one seems to have commented on that)

Oh man, every time I look at I love it more! I am sure I'm not the only one who wants one like that...
I bet you if Rudolph Schenker sees that, you'll really be in trouble!
Old 19th July 2009, 12:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gain-wire
Oh, P-90s? well, I guess you should know, you bought them. I just thought that because they reminded me of the P-94. Maybe I'm missing somehing here.

You know you might not get in trouble because you have a truly original design here. The only thing similar and that Gibson could lay on you is the overal shape, which is no doubt a perfect copy of the original '83 design, which I would guess is a replica of the '67 design. You have too many different things that Gibson did not put on their V, not even as an option, I should think:

- P90 pickups, for starters
-slightly diferent headstock shape, as another reader pointed out (it has the 58 shape, more pointy than the 67 shape right?)
-binding (I know last year's custom V had binding but no gold finish)
-24 frets (no one seems to have commented on that)

Oh man, every time I look at I love it more! I am sure I'm not the only one who wants one like that...
I bet you if Rudolph Schenker sees that, you'll really be in trouble!
Way back in 1984 I bought a RR Jackson , serial number RR604, which was out of the first thousand manufactured and It was like going from a Honda to a Lexus. This V plays like that. My brother still has that Jackson (i can't talk him out of it) and despite a few paint chips on the wing tips it's in pristine condition (always polished and case kept in an air conditioned climate). I stopped bugging him about it when I finished this V. I didn't expect it to play this well to be honest as it was my first effort at building and I have some paint booth issues to work out in my shop (this is the second paint job because of wood dust), but if someone offered the right amount, after playing it of course, I would sell it. In the meantime I play now every chance I get. Guitar players understand how inspirational the right guitar truly is.
Here is the link for the pickups http://store.guitarfetish.com/dr90husip90g1.html and you'll crap when you see what I paid for them. Funny thing is, I bought them off ebay unheard until I finished this guitar simply because they fit the look I wanted. I was fully prepared to rewind them but no need. The happiest accident I've ever experienced and I heartilly recomend them for anyone tired of that super hot humbucking mud. They'll give you that Mick Jones/ Foreigner type of crunch, ballsy and clean.

Hide this!Advertise here!