Custom Flying V - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2009, 01:16 PM   #11
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Could you give some details on the neck? That's where the Lexus feel when playing comes in. Yours is quite intriguing and has me thinking...
Old 19th July 2009, 01:19 PM   #12
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the newest addition and the "for now completion" of my rig

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a just finished 20 watt class a output 2-12 combo better known over at the AX84 site http://www.ax84.com/ as a SEL. It has 3 gain stages, (of which the last one can be switched out for a more Fender type of sound or left in for a Marshall style crunch), with a single EL34 tube for output. Solid state rectification creates perhaps too steady an influence so a tube rectifier could be in it's future. For now I'll let it burn in like it is and decide later. The cabinet was built in the shop and tolex and grillcloth came from Mojo's. Surely this plus the V makes me feel like the "cats meow" , now all I need is practice

P.S. sorry for the fuzzy picture, I don't see too well anymore.
Old 19th July 2009, 01:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Could you give some details on the neck? That's where the Lexus feel when playing comes in. Yours is quite intriguing and has me thinking...
The one thing I bought and didn't build was the neck block. Here is the link to StewMac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_...itar_Neck.html

I found out later their necks are manufactured by Carvin and you can shave a few dollars off by going to them direct. I am building up to attempt my own neck build possibly on the next one but didn't have the confidence on the first one. You never really know until your finished wether it's going in the fire or on the wall.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Any ideas on what your next build will be?
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:43 PM   #15
mpm32 is offline mpm32  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you give some details regarding the finish?

Was it a 2-part poured, using the binding to dam?
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid_Child
Any ideas on what your next build will be?
I'm looking for Gibson Firebird plans right now with the reverse headstock. Pretty much the same layout, 24 fret , maple neck thru body. I love the sound of a neck thru for some reason. I haven't decided about the finish and probably won't until it comes time to finish it. Originally the V was going to be Sunburst flamed maple and you see how it turned out.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpm32
Can you give some details regarding the finish?

Was it a 2-part poured, using the binding to dam?
The finish is traditional Gold using nitrocellulose lacquer. It's actually the vintage fender candy apple red recipe without the transparent red, but only because I used a white gloss to buildup just before the gold. Gibson uses regular clear gloss for the buildup but it's hard to see the imperfections with my eyes so I use some color. The gold will tell you in a heartbeat if you have any blemish underneath. So you have a couple really thin wash coats, then grain filler, followed by 2 or 3 build coats, then the white, then the gold, then 6 to 9 coats of clear gloss. Hang it in the corner and forget about it for a month, at least, then 2000 grit wetsand flat and buff to shine.
Old 24th July 2009, 03:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hey PassFan,

Your first project? I'm really impressed!!!

I would like to suggest that you check out the following link prior to starting your next.

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/lacquer.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!