Help Please with tube amps!!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2009, 12:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help Please with tube amps!!!!!

Hi everyone.
I have got a Hacker AL42 extension amp for an old fashioned record player which has been used to play a guitar through.
It has one guitar input, one volume, one treble and bass, a speaker out jack and an on switch.
The amp runs off 2 Mullard ECL86 and 1 Mullard EZ80 Rectifier.
I want to mod this to be more like a guitar amp but need to clarify a few things:
I would like to make the amp a little bit louder, its rated at 7 watts but really sounds too quiet for that. Its plugged into 2 speakers which are both vintage Adastra Hi-Ten, so maybe changing these would help?
I would also like to add a pre amp with an ECC83 and a gain pot?
Do i just wire this in between the input jack and circuit? Would this make it a bit louder.
Can i put a mid pot in?
I know these may seem like dumb questions but this is my first amp build ( im a guitar builder by experience).
Would it be easier to de solder all the components and design an amp with the above tubes , but a different circuit? I'm not sure how alike stereo amps are to guitar amps.

Sorry if it seems like to many questions but despite my research i am still no closer to any answers,

Thanks
Matt.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hacker were probably the world's BEST radio manufacturer, they made superb radios, and a number of excellent audio systems.

I may have a circuit for it at work, I've still got loads of the old Hacker manuals, I'll have a look tomorrow for you.

As for volume, it's a high quality HiFi amplifier, so has low distortion and wide frequency range (as much as valves do). Guitar amps are high distortion and poor frequency range, and get the volume by overdriving it further and producing masses more distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!