Best Part Supplier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How long is a piece of string? What is the best entree to order in a restaurant?

It all depends upon what you are trying to order, what you need.

For basic components, I am more likely to go to Mouser or Allied or even Digikey. Even Jameco occasionally has something I need.

Mouser is usually my first call, but Allied consistently has stock and way better prices on Motorola power semis (now On Semiconductor). I occasionally use B&D Enterprises for Sanken transistors. SO far I have not gotten any fakes from them. Digikey has a very wide range of caps.

If I need Asian transistor types, then many times I go to MCM. I have not gotten any fakes from them either and they have a wide selection.

For specifics like 500v e-caps or amp specific film caps, then I do look to CEDist, Magic parts, and similar. Those companies tend to overlap a lot, so I might order from one over the other based mainly on who I was buying tubes from at the time. They also sell some OEM parts like pots. I generally see better prices and good service from CEDist, but I have always gotten good service from Magic on my orders there as well. No complaints at New Sensor, I just rarely use them.

Parts Express has a whole lot of speaker related stuff. Crossover components, jack plates, corners and handles, and the drivers themselves

I also find good wholesale prices at Martin Sound Products - they sell speakers and speaker related stuff, and diaphragms.

SO I have many best sources. When I shop, I usually make a chart on a legal pad, with columns for each distributor. I get good service from them all, so I shop prices. SOmetimes I need only one part from one supplier but a bunch from another. Then i will pay the higher price to get that one part from the other supplier too, just to save double shipping costs.

Oh my, this is one of those difficult questions.

Enzo is right, it depends on your project.

In total, I order from about 20 suppliers, depending on the build or repair.

I favor some though, even though they are more expensive, because of the insanely friendly service and "No like? No problem!" policies. AES and DigiKey fall into that category :)

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.