Speaker wiring help please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
dave13 is offline dave13  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Smile Speaker wiring help please

Hello please can someone help me - i have no speaker wiring experience and have found what i want on the net but i don't know how to do it. Please could somebody tell me how to wire a Mono/Stereo 412 cabinet with 8 ohm G12's in it. I have attached a wiring diagram which i have found on the net and a picture of my amp with labels and + and - . I have a switch to change from mono - stereo which i think was off a 1960cab - I am wiring a AVT 8 ohm cab which was just mono when bought.

The blurb on the website ( http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html ) said this :
Mono/Stereo in same cabinet
4 Musical Intrument Speakers. Mono/Stereo selectable by using a Switch.

**Option 2**
4 - 8 ohm speakers = 16 ohms to each channel if run in Stereo, 8 ohms in Mono mode.

The Right channel jack is completely disconnected when in Mono Mode. Do Not alter this configuration (you risk doing serious damage to your power amps if wired differently).

Mouser Electronics Sells 1/4 inch phone jacks that have a built in DPDT switch - the switch contacts are electrically isolated from the 1/4 inch Jack connection (they have to be in order for you to wire this correctly) - Marshall used this type of Jack/Switch to automatically set the speaker selection mode. They are expensive and prone to failure over time, however, using them often simplifies set-up of your rig. If you decide to use these, the Mono/Stereo switch functionality would be associated with the Right channel, where when nothing is plugged into the Right channel, the cabinet is operating in Mono Mode.

Please can someone instruct me

Thanks in advance Dave

Attached Images
File Type: gif 4sp_stereo_mono.gif (12.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 20th May 2009, 05:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker wiring please help

Here's an actual photo of my amp with terminals marked and numbered - so I know exactly where to attach wires if needed

Cheers Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiringlabelled polarity1.jpg (98.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 20th May 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are you planning to get rid of the switch and just run it as a 4 speaker mono? If so that's easy. If you still want stereo and can get rid of the switch, that's easy too.

The letter/number system you have used appears redundant. ie: A1+ and A2+ are the same thing. Each terminal can be identified by only one figure.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring

Sorry I have a switch which switches from mono to stereo like the 1960 amps but the numbers on the back would be different and i understand that.

Is it possible to wire it up so it can be switchable like in the first diagram of the website.

Pic attached of switch

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch1.jpg (88.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 21st May 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, just follow the diagram you posted.

Hide this!Advertise here!