guitar tone I can't find.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default guitar tone I can't find....

There is a super smooth saturated guitar tone that actually sounds like a power planer (or power saw) with lots of low overtones that I am trying to figure out how to get.
I'm afraid it may a be a mesa on 11 in a big room with the highs cut off. It is a very electrical type sound similar to the sound overhead powerlines make arcingg into trees or that high altitude lightning streaking across the sky. I'm trying to get it at a preamp level.
Sounds awesome when playing a decending scale riff inbetween power chords.

Any Ideas?

Trying to get it with, Emg 81 loaded guitars, Destination overdrive, Tri-ac, VT999 bitmo modded, have not tried compression or chorus yet.
Old 8th May 2009, 03:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a Peavey description.

How much watts you need?
Old 12th May 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There is a DIY project called the DieFET that gets extremely bottom heavy if you want it. Another one to check out is the Freya distortion. You can find these projects on the net easily enough. I have built both and the provide some very good heavy sounds. Roll off the highs as needed.
Old 17th May 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i recomend using a bass guitar head and 15" cabinet getting the
feed out from the guitar amp pre out on heavy overdrive.
i attached a link with the result of this combination in one of my band recordings.

is this the sound you are looking for?

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Mn...K3g0b0RIRGc9PQ
Old 18th May 2009, 01:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

sounds like you're looking for something like jimi hendrix's guitar in the Star Spangled Banner heavily fuzzed with lots of bottom end. i used to get a similar sound by using lots of fuzz into a flanger, and cutting off the sweep in the flanger so i could use it as a comb filter.

my "rule of thumb" is to use waveshapers (fuzz, etc) first, and spectrum shapers (wah, flanger, etc...)second, and envelope shapers (volume pedal, tremolo, compressors. etc...) last.
Old 21st May 2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Blending is the key here

Maybe experiment with some reamping but to me it sounds like you want a hybrid analog/valve sound combined with a digital low end.

A couple ways immediately come to mind.

Waves has an undertone exciter for bass to give it that 808 sound. So maybe try to combine that with a distortion of some kind - my instinct is you want a weird digital curved distortion.

Another approach that I think is overlooked. On a lot of hip hop etc.. they will double up a regular bass or a stand up bass with a synth bass at an octave below. Again add distortion as needed.

Also try sending a copy to a tube buffer and just clipping the crap out of it. That is always good for like a sixties type of tone.
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Finally heard someone else get close. Mesa triple rectifier, full stack, gibson artisan. Pretty close but too loud. Sounded right on single notes but chords were mushier than I personally like.
I may try playing with the SLO Century and a BSS maximizer.
I really want to get this tone at line level not with a true stack.
Has anyone played with the various diy sag circuits?
The octave trick is interesting and I've found it usefull.
Old 25th May 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

i think the sound you're looking for is similar to Mahogany Rush (Frank Marino) "reflections on war". you might find an old Guitar Player interview with Frank Marino where they ask him what he uses for effects boxes. i seem to remember reading one back in the mid 70's
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

did you try the bluebox?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/...blue-box/12389
Old 3rd June 2009, 04:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm able to get quite close using a recently aquired trademark 60 amp re equipped with a warrior 12 speaker. It looks like part of the sound is power tube saturation which I don't think can be duplicated very easilly with solid state equipment.
I will run an rta through the insert to sans amp out, then from the insert to the speaker and hang an old balanced mxr eq off the sans amp out to the pa. I will match the eq so the sans amp out will match the speaker correctly.
I've whipped up a couple of powered extension cabs with matching drivers so that should cover the stage well.

I've seen many complaints about ch2 of the trademark. I was in agreement untill I found this combination. Very dark mesaesque tone but with a more marshally smooth distortion.
Kicking in the weep button gets more of a class a type breakup, not my taste.

Hide this!Advertise here!