how to reduce humming in guitar amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
winner is offline winner  India
diyAudio Member

Default how to reduce humming in guitar amplifier

i made a guitar amp usin tl072 as preamp and tda2050 as power it hums and buzzes annoyingly but they are reduced wenever i touch the circuit ground. plz help also, y r circuit grounds connected to chassis of the amp? do they help 2 reduce noise?
Old 6th April 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And electric shocks. Might be radio interference, try angling the amp in different directions (sounds silly but you'll notice a difference if it does)
Old 6th April 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are your input jacks grounded (ie shorting-type, which connects signal ground to input- we are not necessarily talking about grounded chassis here, though that is common) ?
Is the buzzing present when the guitar is not plugged in and the input is shorted?
Answer: Yes- problem is in the amp.
Answer: No- problem is noise pickup from guitar/cable.

Just a point: You will likely get more responses if you use 'normal English' rather than 'texting' abbreviations in your posts. Some 'old fogeys' -like me- find it irritating to read......

Cheers
John
Old 8th April 2009, 05:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Make sure you have properly shielded guitar cables.

Also check what else is plugged in to the same power adapter or in the house. Sometimes high voltage gear in a house can cause unusual hums to be heard through loud speakers at loud volumes Click the image to open in full size.
Old 9th April 2009, 08:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

theres no problem when the input is shorted but when the input is left floating( without connecting either to guitar and ground ) the hum is multifold .also is there any noise reduction
when the preamp is in inverting mode than in non inverting mode?
Old 9th April 2009, 09:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winner
theres no problem when the input is shorted
I'd say your amp sounds quite typical of most guitar amps- they are quite high gain, so sensitive to noise.
I you plug in a properly set-up guitar, using a good cord, you should be OK.

John
Old 10th April 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

You might also consider shielding the cavity in your electric guitar which will help with noise and hum...
Old 13th April 2009, 07:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

will replacing tl072 with any other better quality preamp help? chips like opa 2134 are very hard to get here. is there a readily available good quality ic available for substitute of tl072/74 ?
Old 13th April 2009, 12:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

G'day,

Quote:
will replacing tl072 with any other better quality preamp help? chips like opa 2134 are very hard to get here. is there a readily available good quality ic available for substitute of tl072/74 ?
TL072 is a gorgeous op amp for HiFi and absolutely spectacular for guitar in my experience.

I think Test Electrix might have been on to something with "Might be radio interference". Any device pushed into saturation, transistor, opamp or tube, will hum like a son-of-a.

First thing I'd look at is grounding. I use a single point ground, even on my guitar amps.

Cheers!
Old 13th April 2009, 01:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I agree totally with Geek, the TL072 is a great opamp, I doubt you would hear any difference whatsoever - and certainly not in a guitar amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!