HELP!!!! :Bass Guitar Cabs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2003, 10:20 AM   #1
moose54 is offline moose54  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default HELP!!!! :Bass Guitar Cabs

Has anyone had any experience in designing bass guitar cabs. I'm having my first go atm. I currently have a 4x10" Sovtek commercial cab and its not bad but it could be better. I want to get a better amp, atm I have eyed off a SS600 labsystems . Unfortunately my cab wont handle it and i decided after building my own HT suby I'd give the bass cab a go.

Atm i have ordered a 15" driver and have plans for that extension cab. I went with an eminence driver (been happy with them in the past for my bass) a Kappa Pro 15. So we'll see how all that goes.... I'm pretty confident that that will sound pretty good. However that's only half the stack i want.

I'd like a nice 4x10" cab with a horn to sit on top. Atm Iíve found the eminence gamma 10's to be the best option I can find. If anyone has a better solution or suggestion please help me!!!! Further more I know bugger all about horns so if anyone has a good suggestion again can you help me out.

Eminence also makes a range of crossovers to suit their drivers. They also come neatly packed for mounting in the box and all the appropriate connections as i would like them. However they are rated to 400Wrms. The amp i want is 600Wrms into 4 ohms (each cab will be 8ohm), and can peak at 1050W. From what i understand i'd want a cab to handle around 500Wrms?? Corerct me if i'm worng. The drivers will easily handle the 500Wrms but the crossover at 400Wrms might be a little small, and i reallly don't want to blow the cab up... any opinions????

Attached is my cad models of the boxes i have designed so far.... I did it in CATIA V5 and it looks kinda kewl.... O and if you are wondering..... no I donít look like the mannequin in the picture

any help is appreciated thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stak.jpg (49.8 KB, 672 views)
Old 22nd April 2003, 08:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Here we go again...

I can recomend you 2 tweeter horns:the first is the P.Audio PHT 406 ,used in Epifani cabs.VERY,VERY good sounding.
The cheaper version is IMG Stage Line 230/RD.
These two tweeters ate very much alike,and they look almost the same (P.Audio has,though,a lower res freq...).
As I already said,I'll give them a try at at,say,2,5 KHz,12 or 18 dB/octave,depending on your taste.
About the 10's,if you like the Eminence sound,go for it.They're reilable and good-sounding as well.
Plans for a 4x10'? Sorry,I'm not in this movie...currently Im working on a 1x15' with horn,and I doubt I'll ever need some 10's.
By the way,what's the design of your 1x15?
Mine is a perfect copy of Epifani T115...
Cheers,
Old 22nd April 2003, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Forums 4us

Maybe you'll find some interesting answers on your question on these forums:
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/
and
http://basslinks.nl/forum.html

Despite of a huge amount of C..P , purely commercial approaches and stupid newbie's FAQ,you'll also find some interesting ideas.And people within the thematic...
Greetings!
Old 22nd April 2003, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default You,TArzan...me,STUPID!

Sorry...I just gave you a link you already have....
Old 22nd April 2003, 11:25 PM   #5
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

You might want to look at the Eminence Kappa Pro 10's. They are a cast frame, where the Gammas are stamped. They handel a bit more power also. With the cast frame, you get a tighter low end, better power handling, and a more rugged (read won't break as easily) design. I've had a lot of customers that are very happy with them.

Cheers.
Old 23rd April 2003, 03:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmm i'll have to see if i can get the Kappa Pro 10's here in aus... Just checked the eminence webiste and the lower fs looks like a heasp better option.... i must have missed it in my passings... grr o well. hmm next trick is to see if can get them here in AUS. We dont get the full range. But yeah at a quick glance like a heap better frequency range than the gamma 10's...

The 15" is a Kappa Pro 15. In a box i think (off the top of my head. I'm at work atm and my calcs are at home) of 145L and tuned to 50Hz. I did the calcs myself using WINisd. I think the ideal volume it gave me was around 179L but that is just impractical... 145L is enough if you ask me.. I got a feeling that may be wrong.... i'll check it later tonight (if i remember) and let you know.

let me know how you go with the horn. are you going to use a low pass filter on the 15" driver or just a filter for the high end? i have never built a crossover for a speaker and if you coudl give us a hand that would be great..

cheers
Old 23rd April 2003, 03:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmmm I just thought i'd check out the horns and although power handeling aint everything i notice they are fairly low. I think the IMG went to 40W... I'm i'm looking at running two cabs with a 600Wrms amp wouldn't I blow them??? i know most of the energy is absorbed by the woffers but 20W or 40W seems a littel small
Old 23rd April 2003, 07:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes,you're right....you'll most likely fry the horn with that amp.
BTW,what kind of music do you play?And why do you need such a beast of an amp?(too many watts,for Heaven's sake...).
If you're gonna stick to the 4x10's on top of the 1x15' and cleverly choose the drivers (I mean the 10's,they're supposed to go up to 5-6 KHz),maybe you don't need the horn at all!Why complicate your own life with something unnecessary?Just because the trend or the look?Besides,without a tweeter you'll get rid of the crossover Like Ford said once,"...a piece of equipment what's not there can't be broken...."
In this situation,you'd be able to go on both cabs without any crossover,right?
Old 23rd April 2003, 07:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usekgb
You might want to look at the Eminence Kappa Pro 10's. They are a cast frame, where the Gammas are stamped. They handel a bit more power also. With the cast frame, you get a tighter low end, better power handling, and a more rugged (read won't break as easily) design. I've had a lot of customers that are very happy with them.

Cheers.

Absolutely right.
Since I had some basket (read:slight deformation of the unit's geometry) problems ,I use only cast frame units,no matter of the brand.
Old 23rd April 2003, 08:23 AM   #10
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

A 2.2 uF film cap rated at 1000 volts will be a nice 6 dB/octave XO for the horn, even at many hundred watts. If you're only playing bass on the rig, not much chance of blowing up the horns because HF content will be very low - just finger noise if at all - unless the amp is oscillating.

Inductors in a Passive XO for bass rated at 1000+ watts is ridiculous. Bass boxes don't need that - actually a terrible idea since bass runs closer to rated RMS ratings than a full music spectrum - a 600 watt RMS amp is some sort of a minimum for gigging, specially with a lot of drums and distorted guitars around... Enough to melt a coil or a dozen of them.

Maybe a steeper slope for the tweeter can be used 12 dB/ 18 dB, but the natural rollof of the driver at the top end should be used if pairing with a tweeter - no series inductor is necessary. If you're really worried about frying a tweeter you can add a fusible R in series, rated to blow at tweeter overload...

Hide this!Advertise here!