Behringer PMH300 noisy phantom - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2009, 04:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Behringer PMH300 noisy phantom

I noticed last year that the first two channels on my PMH3000 had intermittent crackles on them when using phantom powered mics. If dynamic mics are connected and the 48v switched off all is ok. All other channels are fine even with phantom powered mics.
This year channel 2 has got much worse and is completely unusable with the 48v switched on.
Has anybody else had similar problems ? I have disassembled the unit and tried to swop the larger capacitors around in the front end (between ch2 and ch3) but had no joy at tracing the source of the noise,
thanks
gary
Old 19th February 2009, 01:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have a schematic diagram for the input stage of a channel on this mixer to show the phantom powering ?
Old 19th February 2009, 04:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've got an MX802 circuit, but really theres very little in phantom powering - just two 6K81 resistors feeding 48V to the input pins.

Perhaps the coupling capacitors from the input to the ampliifer are leaky?, they have to block the 48V DC.
Old 18th March 2009, 01:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply.
Yes Ive had a closer look and see what you mean. The curcuit is very simple around the XLR. Ive pulled the two 47uF/50v caps that couple the XLR to the mic input and some more caps are on order.I'll let you know how I get on
regards
Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!