Guitar effects - where to start? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2009, 09:57 PM   #1
stev.dk is offline stev.dk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar effects - where to start?

Hello to all DIY people out there! Great forum you've got here.

I wanna get into the making of guitar effect's ( in stomp boxes ), but im not quite sure where to start. I have knowledge og ohms law and schematics.

I would like some digital tools (software) that will allow me to measuere schematics, so i have an idea of the effect, before i start to get parts and solder.

Or maybe you have some great links to websites, that have tutorials on how to get started.

mvh
stev.dk
Old 6th February 2009, 10:40 PM   #2
HK26147 is offline HK26147  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.craiganderton.com/books.htm

Guitar Player Presents Do-It-Yourself Projects for Guitarists
by Craig Anderton

Electronic projects for musicians
by Craig Anderton
Old 6th February 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
jman 31 is offline jman 31  United States
diyAudio Member

I have frequented these sites and have had good luck, although some of them don't have any forum. There are some really good projects for the DIY'er.

http://www.tonepad.com/projects.asp?projectType=fx
http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/
http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/...roject=layouts

Jman
Old 6th February 2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Banned

There is no software that will tell you much about the sound that an effects circuit will give.

Google Pspice for a free student edition of the circuit simulator. It can tell you if a circuit does what you think it does electronically, but you have to learn how to work it and you have to learn how to iinterpret the results. It takes time and effort.

Just like learning to play guitar, there are no shortcuts, but you'll feel great every time you make a bit of progress.

w
Old 8th February 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wakibaki
There is no software that will tell you much about the sound that an effects circuit will give.
Well there is ltspice - which unfortunately doesn't process the waveform sample data in real-time (demands too much from the processor, especially with complex circuits). Iím still pretty happy with what it can do, though. Waveform input and output compatibility, no limitations in numbers of used components or imported models, easy to use... And it's freeware! If you need a SPICE software the best bet (IMO) is to get this one.
Old 13th February 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
jblofi is offline jblofi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jblofi
Hello stev.dk.
I don't know your knowledge of electronics but, I would suggest you get a 'breadboard'(matrix,plug-in,experimental type thing!)
Thats what we call them here !
They are white plastic grids,full of holes that you plug components into.
Start with simple one or two transistor designs(people have spent their lives trying to perfect the fuzz-face ,I should know!,I've been trying to perfect them for years !).
Some of the classic cct's are very similar -Electro-Harmonix,DOD,Ibanez,Foxx,Maestro etc..etc..
Fuzz, overdrive/distortion,wha/filter,phaser,octave boxes all use similar layouts and components, I'm still amazed at some of the tones I can get out of a handfull of bits and a 9v battery.
This is my first time in this forum and I'm not sure if I can recomend sites ,but I think TONEPAD and FUZZ CENTAL should be cool (I hope !).
good luck !
ps. say hi to mary !
Old 15th February 2009, 12:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This here's my favorite source for that kind of stuff:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

They provide any level you want from just a schematic to a circuit board to a whole kit. When they started, the boards were a little homemade but now they look really nice.

They have sound clips, too, which is the best thing in the world.

B
Old 15th February 2009, 02:30 AM   #8
thegnu is offline thegnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamalama
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

They provide any level you want from just a schematic to a circuit board to a whole kit. When they started, the boards were a little homemade but now they look really nice.
B [/B]
Yeah, I think they get their boards from BYOC now? They're good quality. Anyway, I bought and built their OSQ compressor, and it's fantastic. I had no clue what I was doing, and it was simple and painless. I would recommend a project like this if you're not good at soldering, because you get easy practice with pictures of the finished product, wiring diagrams, and a circuit board with the values of the resistors and stuff printed right on it.

But speaking of BYOC, they're good, too. Haven't built anything from them, so I can't vouch for the completeness or simplicity of their instructions.
buildyourownclone.com
Old 16th February 2009, 06:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I LOVE the Orange Squeezer, too. I thought I'd have to add all kinds of stuff because the circuit was so simple but the thing sounds great.

I just can't play unless I have a compressor in, and I'm not a real effectsy guy. I play real natural clean style tones.
Old 16th February 2009, 07:34 PM   #10
thegnu is offline thegnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, right after I built the OSQ, I picked up an MXR Dyna Comp. I liked the MXR better at first, which bummed me out, because my gf painted the OSQ for me, and I put all this time into it. But after using the MXR--which is way more drastic, and way noisier--I tried the OSQ again, and I'd learned from the MXR what exactly the thing was doing, and got a feel for how to adjust it.

And for the record, I'm quite effectsy: OSQ > Maxon OD9 > green big muff > whipple mod t/b Vox V847 wah > Ibanez AD9 > Arion SAD-1 (awesome pedal) > Boss DD-5 > Monte Allum Boss GE-7 Plus. I may pick up an EHX Frequency Analyzer, too, if I can haggle this dude down. But then, I play in a two-piece rock power trio.

Hide this!Advertise here!