Guitar effects - where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all DIY people out there! Great forum you've got here.

I wanna get into the making of guitar effect's ( in stomp boxes ), but im not quite sure where to start. I have knowledge og ohms law and schematics.

I would like some digital tools (software) that will allow me to measuere schematics, so i have an idea of the effect, before i start to get parts and solder.

Or maybe you have some great links to websites, that have tutorials on how to get started.

mvh
stev.dk

There is no software that will tell you much about the sound that an effects circuit will give.

Google Pspice for a free student edition of the circuit simulator. It can tell you if a circuit does what you think it does electronically, but you have to learn how to work it and you have to learn how to iinterpret the results. It takes time and effort.

Just like learning to play guitar, there are no shortcuts, but you'll feel great every time you make a bit of progress.

w

wakibaki said:
There is no software that will tell you much about the sound that an effects circuit will give.

Well there is ltspice - which unfortunately doesn't process the waveform sample data in real-time (demands too much from the processor, especially with complex circuits). I’m still pretty happy with what it can do, though. Waveform input and output compatibility, no limitations in numbers of used components or imported models, easy to use... And it's freeware! If you need a SPICE software the best bet (IMO) is to get this one.

Hello stev.dk.
I don't know your knowledge of electronics but, I would suggest you get a 'breadboard'(matrix,plug-in,experimental type thing!)
Thats what we call them here !
They are white plastic grids,full of holes that you plug components into.
Start with simple one or two transistor designs(people have spent their lives trying to perfect the fuzz-face ,I should know!,I've been trying to perfect them for years !).
Some of the classic cct's are very similar -Electro-Harmonix,DOD,Ibanez,Foxx,Maestro etc..etc..
Fuzz, overdrive/distortion,wha/filter,phaser,octave boxes all use similar layouts and components, I'm still amazed at some of the tones I can get out of a handfull of bits and a 9v battery.
This is my first time in this forum and I'm not sure if I can recomend sites ,but I think TONEPAD and FUZZ CENTAL should be cool (I hope !).
good luck !
ps. say hi to mary !

Bamalama said:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

They provide any level you want from just a schematic to a circuit board to a whole kit. When they started, the boards were a little homemade but now they look really nice.
B [/B]
Yeah, I think they get their boards from BYOC now? They're good quality. Anyway, I bought and built their OSQ compressor, and it's fantastic. I had no clue what I was doing, and it was simple and painless. I would recommend a project like this if you're not good at soldering, because you get easy practice with pictures of the finished product, wiring diagrams, and a circuit board with the values of the resistors and stuff printed right on it.

But speaking of BYOC, they're good, too. Haven't built anything from them, so I can't vouch for the completeness or simplicity of their instructions.
buildyourownclone.com

Yeah, right after I built the OSQ, I picked up an MXR Dyna Comp. I liked the MXR better at first, which bummed me out, because my gf painted the OSQ for me, and I put all this time into it. But after using the MXR--which is way more drastic, and way noisier--I tried the OSQ again, and I'd learned from the MXR what exactly the thing was doing, and got a feel for how to adjust it.

And for the record, I'm quite effectsy: OSQ > Maxon OD9 > green big muff > whipple mod t/b Vox V847 wah > Ibanez AD9 > Arion SAD-1 (awesome pedal) > Boss DD-5 > Monte Allum Boss GE-7 Plus. I may pick up an EHX Frequency Analyzer, too, if I can haggle this dude down. But then, I play in a two-piece rock power trio. :D

LTspice doesn't provide real-time output, but it DOES have .wav file input and output capability. you can take a .wav file, input it into your circuit, and save the output as a .wav file and play it back to hear the effect. i use a clip of RED HOUSE that has a "clean" (well, almost) guitar signal.

the only constraint is that all your output signals to the .wav file output must be less than 1V (within the range of +/- 1V) or it will be clipped. the simple way to do this with outputs that go higher than this is to use a voltage divider to tap your .wav output from.

simple starts

I've been happy with Small Bear Electronics for supplies and either general guitar gadgets (GGG) or tonepad for PCBs. Commonsound.org is also fun. If you're new to stuffing components into boards, a nice silk screened board is nice to start with. Small bear has pre-drilled boxes if that part is daunting.

I've been most happy with the following builds:
- fatwah mod to crybaby - this is cheap and makes a good sounding wah
- commonsound's tremulus - this is actually my most used pedal
- chorus from tonepad
- univibe clone - board from GGG
- simple fuzz from GGG, with matched transistors from small bear - sounds great

These might help, I've built some before (I can't remember they were off these sites)

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/
http://solorb.com/elect/
http://www.commonsound.com/

This one def reccomended for an ace, simple fuzz with an explanation of how it works http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

I also reccomend if you're going to get seriously in to it you'll want an etching kit to make your own printed circuit boards,
- a light box for 'priming' copper sheets ready for etching (I prefer this to the other method of drawing the circuit on with etch-resistant pen as it's more accurate),
- acetate to print designs on to go with the copper board in to the light box,
- designing software (not necessary if you get a ready to solder board)
That'll probably amount to about £200/$300 but then you're set to keep producing otherwise just buy kits if you're not going to do a lot of it

"I also reccomend if you're going to get seriously in to it you'll want an etching kit to make your own printed circuit boards...."

Been there, done that.

Do it only if you're going to get seriously into it.

Unless you want to be a circuit board maker as a career, or you dig the idea of making a commercial-grade project just to have done it, cutting your own boards is totally not worth it. It's expensive, annoying, and consumes time that you could be spending getting good at something more worthwhile.

Realizing of course that all the guys who did do it are the guys that we have to thank for the convenience that we all enjoy.

i liked MXR gadgets. they worked well, and were very durable.
durability was my only complaint about electroharmonix..... MXR used cast boxes that were nearly indestructible, E-H used 22Ga sheet metal. i had an MXR flanger that lasted almost 20 years of constant use. too bad i couldn't find SAD1024 or SAD2048 chips when it bit the dust, or it would still be working today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.