EICO HF-20 Guitar Amp Convert - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2009, 04:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EICO HF-20 Guitar Amp Convert

Hello.

I have a working EICO HF-20 tube integrated amplifier. Its in great shape, and sounds real good! I have all the original paperwork (manual, schematics, templates, etc...).

"Real" tube amps are very, very expensive as are tube amp kits. I am hoping to convert/rework the #20 into a guitar amp. PHONO 1 is set up for magnetic cartidge type input, so I think converting a #20 is feasible as per “Converting Integrated/PA Tube Amps into Guitar Amps” by Joe Jasniewski (http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/...tar/index.html)a

I've attached the #20 schematic. I can email a better quality file, but cannot post due to attach file size limitations. I can also provide any other original documentation if necessary. Can someone please offer specific instructions for how to re-wire the input and tone 'grids'? As per Mr. Jasniewski this is all that is necessary. Future more complex mods are possible, but to begin I want to take one step at a time.

I had some exposure to electric circuits in college (building rectifier bridges, learning to use an oscilliscope, etc...). I think I can safely rework this with a little help.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: gif eicohf20small.gif (32.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 5th February 2009, 04:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I suggest you sell it and use the proceeds to buy and modify a PA amp (you could buy SEVERAL Bogens, S-Cs, etc. for what the HF-20 will bring...). They're actually better suited to the purpose anyway.
Old 6th February 2009, 01:44 AM   #3
rickl is offline rickl  United States
diyAudio Member

Please listen to Tom's advice. The Eico is not the amp you want to convert to a guitar amp.

Not sure what kind of amp you want (Champ clone, Showman clone) but if you want to build a guitar amp, post what you want and someone can help.

I've built several different guitar amps (Champ from parts, Deluxe from a broken Knight, Princeton from a old tube record player, ...).

The Eico is not a guitar amp.

Listen to Tom.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default EICO HF-20 Guitar Amp Convert

Thanks for the advice! I though all you needed to get a good conversion were enough gain stages as in magnetic phono input.

You are right. I also thought about selling the whole lot on ebay. I also have the original tuner, and a basket full of replacment valves. Maybe worth $400-$500 altogether?

Then, I could instead get a ready made amp kit to satisfy my curiosity. I may also wind up with a much better result.

However, tube amp kits are NOT cheap, and at least half a dozen internet sites are selling all different kinds. Any advice recommendations regarding this alternative?

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Hide this!Advertise here!