how would you handle this a/b switching? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2009, 05:32 AM   #1
thegnu is offline thegnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default how would you handle this a/b switching?

My amp doesn't have a switch for the clean and overdriven channels, but I love the amp's distortion. I realized a couple minutes ago that I could build an A/B switch for the amp, but there are a few things that I'm not sure about.

I need to run cables to both channels from the A/B box, but I need to have the A/B box on my pedal board. This means either:

1. I run two cables from A and B
2. I wire A and B to a single, multiconductor cable.

If I choose 1, I can just tape the cables together. If I choose 2, I can either run the multi-conductor cable to a splitter box duct taped to my amp, or split the actual cable and solder two mono ends onto it.

How would you do it? I'm thinking 1, run the two mono cables, just because then, one cable can go bad, and I'm still relatively good. Plus, replacements are cheap and ubiquitous. This is the best thing to do, right?

Thanks for any input.
Old 15th January 2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
A(nother) simple way you could do that would be to use some CMOS switching. I have a schematic / board made in Eagle at home (i'm at school right now). I could upload some screenshots, in case you're interested.

I'll get back to you on this a bit later.

Chris
Old 15th January 2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
OK, just got back home.

The circuit i have is for a "true bypass" thing, but it's easily modifiable to do A/B switching.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What about a passive "A/B/Y" stomp?

Cheers!
Old 16th January 2009, 02:10 AM   #5
thegnu is offline thegnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably just going to make a passive A/B switch that lights up when the distortion channel is selected. I think running two regular mono cables is the best thing, since if one fails, I've got a backup. I'll probably just duct tape them together, or use heatshrink tubing or something.

Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!