Stomp Box Problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2008, 08:22 PM   #1
jman 31 is offline jman 31  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stomp Box Problems

I built this distortion project, and I can't seem to get it to work. All I get is silence (i can hear some noise when I turn the 10K pot and when I insert a jack, but no guitar sound). I swapped the two diodes for IN4007's because that's all I could find. I also swapped the op amp from the TL071 to a 741 from Radio Shack. Could these swaps cause this problem?

Here is the schematic I used.
Attached Images
File Type: png newclipper.png (10.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 4th December 2008, 09:01 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Should work fine, although a little limited because the 741 is far lower spec - but it should work.

Measure the voltages round the chip - presumably you've connected the correct pins?, and the chip is the right way round?.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I got it to work (I had routed one of the wires wrong), but its not very loud at all. I guess maybe I'll order that chip. Would the diodes make any difference? Also, one of the 22K resistors is getting really hot is that normal?

Thanks for the input by the way.
Old 5th December 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No, the diodes won't make any difference - but there's no way a 22K resistor can get hot off a 9V battery - if it's getting hot, it's not a 22K. Even directly across the battery, it would only dissipate 0.004W.
Old 5th December 2008, 08:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK I'll check the bands, it might have been in the wrong bin or something. Unless I grabbed a 22 instead of a 22K. Thanks again for the help. I will check on it.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yep, that was it. wrong resistor. I will have to get the right ones and give it another try. Thanks
Old 5th December 2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Actually I believe the Diodes do make a differance...I believe The diodes limit the output voltage to 0.7v......

I have noticed this with pretty much every Distortion unit I have built that uses Clipping Diodes on the output....

If you use LED"s you will get much more output (1.5v) and a more Nu-metal sound....if you get rid of the diodes all together it will be a lot louder but the overdrive might not be very pleasant.....

Cheers
Old 6th December 2008, 01:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was wondering if I could use some 10 or 15K resistors in place of the 22K resistors. I believe it still halves the voltage, but I don't know the whole purpose of those resistors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jman
Old 6th December 2008, 03:41 PM   #9
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thos resistors create a Voltage divider to give a Voltage referance at the input at half supply....You can use pretty much any 2 identical values accept too low a Value might cause your battery to drain quicker than usual....it should be fine with 15k....

Cheers

PS: you can also replace the 150k resistor in the feedback loop with a 100k-250k Potentiometer wired as a variable resistor which will let you dial in the ammount of gain you want, You can even put a switch on the Diodes so you can Enable/Disable diode clipping , or even put different diodes on a switch so you can get different Diode clipping tones , you can even use Mosfets as Diodes clippers but I like the sound of LED"s....
Old 6th December 2008, 05:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try!

Hide this!Advertise here!