Audio Delay 0-20 millisec DIY?Matching miked and line signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im thinking of making a box to match a miked ampsignal with a line signal.A short delay varible around 0-20 millisec could work as i can compare the signals on my computer.
Do anyone have a idea for a chip and a schematic for this?

Sen these phase-allignment boxes but they are pretty expensive.

If all you need is delay, any decent DSP chip with onboard ADC/DAC would do the trick. Even a dedicated ADC/DAC pair + multipurpose microcontroller would probably do. In any case, you might consider an external memory chip to increase the delay (say you have a 44.1kHz/24bit stream stereo, then you'll need 264.6 bytes of free buffer for each millisecond).

But having a DSP chip and knowing how to program it gives you more flexibility, you can even try writing some auto-alignment algorithm, by comparing filtered signals from both inputs. And also many many other things.

There were pseudo digital chips back in the days but good luck finding one now.

In any case, this adds another pair of ADC/DAC if used in the analog part of signal chain, which is difficult and/or expensive to do well in DIY, especially if you have nice equipment. Ideally, such adjustments should be done after the final ADC, possibly in software if computers are involved.

As you may read on the web site this is not a delay but only a Analog Phase Alignment Tool. This has nothing to do with a 20ms signal delay you asked. Toned circuit based on FV-1 is relatively cheap. If this is to expensive, you may take a look at other delay projects available on Tonepad's web site. I think that there are few of them - analog, based on MN3007. I don't think that you may find anything cheaper.

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.