Help on guitar jack soldering? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help on guitar jack soldering?

Sorry for being a complete useless but.....

Can somebody please put me right on soldering a 1/4 jack socket on my guitar project.

Wires from the switches to the jack are TWO - one red (inner white with outer braiding) / one yellow.

I've soldered the yellow to the outer connection on the jack with the red (inner white) to the inner jack connection leaving the braiding cut off and NOT connected to anything.

When plugging into the amp I get a horrible buzzing which goes away to silent when I either touch the jack holder or the lead connection with my hand.

Otherwise the guitar sound plays through the amp no bother!

Just this horrible buzzing - not too loud but definitely there!

Help please - I'm slightly competent but definitely no "boffin"!
Old 24th November 2008, 01:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default 43 viewers and NO HELP!!!!!!!! USELESS SOLDERER

Very disappointed I have had no replies with solution to my problem re - USELESS SOLDERER.
To date 43 viewers of this post and NO replies!!!!....C'mon guys!

I joined this Forum expecting some life out there!!!!!!

Looks like i may have to look elsewhere.
Old 24th November 2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Bone is online now Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you gave us more information it would help. Like type of amplifier, drawing of connections etc.
No one could diagnose your problem from what you have told us as all amps vary.

Tony.
Old 25th November 2008, 06:28 AM   #4
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

ALL buzz problems can be solved by carefully shielding all cavities, using shielded wires, making proper ground planes etc. Google is your friend
Old 28th November 2008, 02:02 PM   #5
vglaso is offline vglaso  United States
diyAudio Member

Default grounding issue

you may have already solved your problem... (am not sure what pick-ups /switching you've done, but fact you can touch strings...and buzz quits? Try taking shielding (meaning the wrap around wire) to ground...(or) one of (2) wires to ground.... see what happens.
Old 30th November 2008, 08:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"leaving the braiding cut off and NOT connected to anything" -
that'll cause the buzz, it needs to be connected to the earth (outer) connection of the jack.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

here also same problem.. please help ma circuit is ruby amp.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100949football View Post
Very disappointed I have had no replies with solution to my problem re - USELESS SOLDERER.
To date 43 viewers of this post and NO replies!!!!....C'mon guys!

I joined this Forum expecting some life out there!!!!!!

Looks like i may have to look elsewhere.
You must remember that we're all here by choice. We don't have to reply. Not all of us log in here every day, and those of us that do, don't always check the entire forum.

Soldering the braiding to the biggest connection of the plug will sort you out.

Regards,
Chris
Old 28th December 2010, 06:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default HUM WARS

You want a blow by blow of a hum war look at the last post of this thread Improving a "Disco mixer" to mid-fi performance
Took me over 7 months to figure out. There is no one solution to eliminating hum. Fresh & adequate power supply capacitors, solid connections both input sides, cable shield connected to case only at one end, metal box grounded to the wall safety ground at only one point, steel box around power transformer or transformer mounted outside the amplifier case, power supply regulator, local hash bypass caps, blah, blah blah. The thread doesn't even talk about how many times I broke the solder joint on the input connectors. One tip- don't buy SPC21418 XLR connectors, the housing wiggles too much and bumps the connections.
Some of the issues on proper input cable design are covered in this thread Phono MC/MM who is running balanced?
One reason guitar effect kits usually suggest a 9V battery as power is they don't want get into the above issues about power line hum, for a $29 kit. Even if you have to buy a $3 battery every week.

Last edited by indianajo; 28th December 2010 at 07:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!