Hexaphonic guitar pickup experiment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2008, 09:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hexaphonic guitar pickup experiment

Hi.

I've thought for many years that it would sound nice if one could have one single analog signal for each string of the guitar. Then one could stereo pan each string separately and have separate effects for the strings. I want to share my successful experiment on this subject and I've written a short article with sound samples.

http://www.carmi.se/misterstarshine/Projects/7

Please let me know if this type of product would be considered useful or meaningful. To me it's an apparent benefit to be able to do advanced things with guitar pickups and to evolve stuff from good to even better. The best judge is your ears. With some refinement one could probably make the sound totally mindblowing.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards
Tom
Old 5th November 2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
I'm not aware of any guitarists, but Michael Manring has a similar system on his custom Zon Hyperbass (independent output per each string).
Old 5th November 2008, 10:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

In fact there are a bunch of artists and even signature guitars equipped with hexaphonic MIDI pickups. Those are in constrast to this pickup optimized and intended for MIDI signals. This applies to bass as well I think. The fortune with my pickup is the intresting sound with overdrive on some or all strings.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
This type of "multi-pickup" might also prove (even more) interesting in the context of a Chapman stick or a Warr guitar
Old 7th November 2008, 03:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The concept would work just fine on any guitar although this prototype is only built for six stringed guitars.
Old 15th March 2009, 06:34 AM   #6
ubertar is offline ubertar  United States
diyAudio Member

Default hexaphonic pickups

Hi, nice work on your project!

I've done some work with hexaphonic pickups as well. I don't use a preamp board... mine work well completely passive. The signal isn't quite as hot as a regular pickup, but it's close, and the signal to noise is very good, so it's easy enough to turn up the amp a bit to reach the same volume.

There's an article with pics and sound clips here:
http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2008/...o-guitars.html

The first pic is of two hex pickups, not a humbucker, but they could be wired together as a humbucker. The only advantage to that would be added gain, because as I said above, the signal to noise is already very good.
Old 15th March 2009, 08:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default hexaphonic pickups

I finally got around to putting up a webpage for my hexaphonic pickups: it's http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic. There's a little more info there than at the article I linked to above.

Again, congrats on your project! How do yours sound without the preamp circuit? I'm not a big fan of the sound of active pickups in general, but that's just a matter of personal taste. I haven't had a chance to check out your sound samples yet-- I will soon... but it's almost 4 am here now, so it'll have to wait...

Cheers,
Paul
Old 15th March 2009, 09:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Woah, this is seriously great sounding stuff!

Cheers!
Old 15th March 2009, 04:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just checked out the sound samples... they sound good, but all the samples have pretty much the same distorted sound. What does it sound like clean?
Old 16th March 2009, 06:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In fact, The only sample I've got is this one http://www.carmi.se/misterstarshine/...ts/5/test2.mp3

Can't believe why I haven't uploaded any samples in clean mode. Don't know what I was thinking. The pickup sounds just great in clean mode as well. Although it's more challenging to make it sound good in overdrive mode in my opinion since the noise rejection is more demanding as well as the channel separation.

My hex pickup project is idle at the moment due to studies but I plan to complete the concept with a breakout box. Right now the breakout is a messy breadboard collecting dust.

Hide this!Advertise here!